MBP Extreme batter discharge when sleeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dagomike, May 15, 2009.

1. dagomike macrumors 65816

I have a 2007 MBP here at work. Ever since I got it, the damn batter doesn't stay charged when sleeping. Now, I realize there's this storing the computer's state in RAM thing. I've been on the phone with Apple and they can't figure anything out and want me to bring it in for diagnostics for $100.

Basically, I charge the battery 100%. Put it to sleep, and the next morning the battery is at 30%. Is this "normal?" Seems pretty useless to me. I'd expect to be able to charge the laptop, stick it in a bag and be able to use it the next morning.

This is actually the second battery for this laptop, the original one died.

When working with Apple, they we did all the tricks to PRAM, etc, and had it boot in safe mode and let it sleep over night and it still lost charge. This is laptop is still covered under Apple Care.

For the hell of it, I charged the batter and took it out. I'll see what it says on Monday. Any ideas?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Its usually normal for atleast a 1% ~ 4.5% battery drain per hour during sleep mode.

I dont see why you dont just keep it plugged in or turn it off at night then power it up when you start the day?

But it really depends on long the system was in sleep in mode...as it could very well drain to 30% if it was asleep a very long period of time.

Id say have the battery checked out by apple or request a replacement, seems the battery may be sucking more juice from it than should be

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Just curious. when you turn it off, does the battery drain also?

4. dagomike thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess I'm averaging 3% per hour. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. I guess I'm spoiled from the old PowerBooks.

Actually I think it may have discharged when turned off. I didn't really test it, but last night I turned it off and when I came in it lost juice. So, now I charged the battery and it's sitting on the table over the weekend. We'll see. Maybe I have two bad batteries, 1.5 years apart?

5. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I'm curious, have you ever run Coconut Battery to check the health of your battery?

I'm curious as to what it would say about it

6. o2xygen macrumors regular

edit: dont worry i noticed you reset the smc and pram. i had the same issue and it fixed it.

7. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I have been reading through the forum about how poor these batteries are performing. i wouldn't be surprised if this is the case! I am curious now about my umbp battery; how long it will last before it becomes demented like yours :D

8. dagomike thread starter macrumors 65816

To be clear, the battery seems to run fine when fully charged and in use. The problem is it won't hold a charge overnight.

Just an update here. This went unresolved with Apple support. They claim this is normal discharge rates. If it is, I told them, this is a really crappy product. Basically I don't think it's unreasonable to put a laptop away fully charged and expect it to work in the morning. They wanted me to go down to an Apple retailer and pay for diagnostics. No way I was paying $100 or whatever. My company would buy me a Dell before authorizing that. It's why I paid for Apple Care.

Anyway. I decided to just shut the computer down instead of sleep. Well, it STILL lost its charge at the same rate. I tried charging again, and left the battery out and it kept its charge.

So called Apple again with this tidbit and the guy was laughing at how ridiculous this is. They sent out a box for a repair return. We'll see what happens.