MBP extremely slow resuming from 'deep sleep'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fitzy89, May 16, 2012.

1. fitzy89 macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I've got a mid-2009 MBP 15" 2.53ghz C2D, in recent months, if it ever sleeps due to the battery going flat, it takes forever to resume from this, when I say forever, it's always upwards of 10 minutes, often 15 or 20 minutes during which I get the spinning beachball and nothing is clickable but if I wait long enough it always works. It's got 8gig ram and a 128gig SSD so for general use is very quick. I realise it probably copies the contents of the ram to the SSD when the battery gets to this level, but it shouldn't take this amount of time to resume. Normal sleep mode is fine, I regularly shut the lid and it goes to sleep mode and resumes quickly as expected when opening it again, it's just the 'deep sleep'/hibernate function that takes a long time (I'm from a Windows background so I'm unsure of the correct name).

When this does happen, I am always near a power source but just hadn't plugged it in, if this problem is due to the copying of ram to ssd, is there a way I could set it to go to normal sleep mode instead of 'deep sleep'? I'm sure the battery could hold the contents of ram for a few more minutes while I plug it in.

I'm very knowledgable when it comes to PCs, but fairly new to Macs (I've had this about a year) so I can understand technical terms fine if you have got any suggestions on what to do. It's just awkward when I'm at a customers house (I'm a mobile PC techy) trying to backup their data or download something for them and the battery dies, then I have to wait an age for it to turn on again.

If it matters, I'm running OSX Lion, I can't remember but I don't think this problem happened with Snow Leopard running on the same hardware.

I look forward to any help/suggestions you could offer.

2. fitzy89 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. fitzy89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have found the cause of the problem, may be useful to others as well because it slows down startup times and causes other issues.

It is related to Parallels on Lion, it seems to mostly affect Macbook Pros more than other machines but either way this appears to be the cause of the problem. See here for the threat on the Parallels forum about it: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=114548

I'm just attempting an update of Parallels at the moment to try and resolve it.