MBP failing to launch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blujelly, May 3, 2016.

1. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Morning all,

Not sure if anyone else has come across this problem before.

I've got 2 accounts on my MBP both were logged in Monday. Went to log into mine yesterday, and instead of it waking up from sleep mode it started to load the progress bar as it would if you had turned on.

It took about 20 minutes to get to about 60%, I've have probable done the wrong thing but I turned it off and on again. Same thing happened this time I left it, but it took a further hour just to get to about 90%. So I thought it's best I boot safe mode.

Turned it off and then in and held shift key, it took about 30 seconds to get to 50% load and then shut down. So I thought I'd just turn it on and leave it, but it done the same again 50% and turns off won't even load safe mode.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Can you boot to Recovery Mode using Cmd + R on boot, or to Internet Recovery using Cmd + Alt + R? If no to the first and yes to the second, I'm going to say you have a failed hard drive or a failed SATA cable.

Though, attempt a disk repair from whichever Recovery feature works as a first step.

3. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I will have a run through when I get home, hopefully this will get it going again.

Bonus side of it all I did a backup last Friday

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

5. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Ok I am able to do cmd + r at start up and it takes me Disk Utility.

I've run 'first aid' in Apple HDD a sub folder below called 'MacBook Pro', the another folder called, Apple disk image and a sub folder below that called ' OS X Base System.

First aid said all were fine except Apple HDD sub folder MacBook Pro, which gives the following message.

'First aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on the volume. Press done to continue'

I assume the above does not mean good news.

6. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Most likely. Have you confirmed?
    You might take out the hard drive and run it externally to isolate the issue before doing a replacement.

8. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Yeah I'm unable to run a repair in it.

I can't install the OS because it can't find the HD to put it on, and same applies when I try to do a time machine backup.

I'll give it a go and see what happens but I don't have a lot of hopes for it haha.

Thanks anyway

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That could just as easily be the SATA cable. It's worth finding out for sure before buying a replacement of either component.

Also, get an SSD if you're going for a new drive.