MBP fails to read burnt discs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by $1()()0N$, Aug 31, 2008.

1. $1()()0N$ macrumors newbie

Hi i am writing this on behalf of a friend who has recently purchased a MBP. he has noticed that the superdrive refuses to read discs that have been burnt on another machine. it reads original company discs happily but when a burnt disc is inserted the MBP believes that the disc is blank and then asks what to do. The discs have also been checked in other machines and function correctly. it also cannot burn discs.

The only possibility that i could think of was to reinstall OSX however this would involve quite a large amount of reinstallation. Can anyone think of an alternative explanation/solution?

2. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

It may be a problem with the optical drive itself, and not the OS. Try using a separate mac that can read and burn discs just fine and mount it in Target Disk Mode (See this article.) and insert the disc into the slaved machine. If the disc mounts on the problem MBP or if you can burn through the slaved machine, you know it's the optical drive on the MBP that doesn't work properly.

My MBP wouldn't read the Leopard install disc when I upgraded but that's the only disc I've ever come across that it couldn't read. I used target disk mode to install Leopard.

3. $1()()0N$ thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Happy to help, hopefully whatever way the situation goes, it can be easily fixed for your friend.