Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you had to replace your new MBP?

• No

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Had problems, but not enough to have it replaced.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

evaporateddwarf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I've seen quite a few stories here on problems with their new MBP's that have required replacements. This is my first real go around, so I don't know if it's normal to hear all the horror stories, with the normal people quietly going a long. How many of you have had get a replacement 2011 MBP?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You have to know, that this is a message board to help people with problems with their Apple products (primarily), therefore you will see lots of stories with failed equipment, if you look for them. But as not every Apple user is registered here (we have around 400.000 members here), you can't really deduce some numbers from those stories, as the people who don't have problems, will not come here and spout about their fully working Mac.
Even if twenty or fifty people answer in your thread, that they had a replacement, do you think that 100.000 people will also come here and chime in about their fully working 2011 MBP?

In short, you will not get valid statistical and objective data from this thread, it may only strengthen your fear of getting a "bad" machine, in which case you can contact Apple and ask them for their help.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You won't get an accurate estimate here. People are more likely to voice a complaint than praise for a product.

You are going to see a high number of complaints, this is just how it goes when a new model is released.

evaporateddwarf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I know non-macrumors users aren't going to chime in. There will be a selection bias, as there is with any voluntary poll, and specifically one only offered to a certain demographic. I'm more interested in just seeing the anecdotal results of the regulars who are on here.

evaporateddwarf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
You have to know, that this is a message board to help people with problems with their Apple products (primarily), therefore you will see lots of stories with failed equipment, if you look for them. But as not every Apple user is registered here (we have around 400.000 members here), you can't really deduce some numbers from those stories, as the people who don't have problems, will not come here and spout about their fully working Mac.
Even if twenty or fifty people answer in your thread, that they had a replacement, do you think that 100.000 people will also come here and chime in about their fully working 2011 MBP?

In short, you will not get valid statistical and objective data from this thread, it may only strengthen your fear of getting a "bad" machine, in which case you can contact Apple and ask them for their help.

Like anyone, sure, I know there's a chance (based off of overall fail rates of about 10%, so a small fraction of that is going to be present in launch week) I'll get a bad machine, but I'm not worried about it or second guessing my purchase. It's more a curiosity, which like I said in my previous post, will not yield objective data on a large scale (I'm a graduating economic student, so I know about biased and unreliable data).However, if my population of interest is not mbp owners in general, but mbp owners who frequent the forum, then the poll only suffers from a voluntary poll bias, not a selection bias.

evaporateddwarf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
What i think is funny is this thread has almost 300 hits, with only 4 posts and 14 votes.

kbrink111

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
IC, Iowa
What i think is funny is this thread has almost 300 hits, with only 4 posts and 14 votes.

I'm guessing a lot of people, like me, don't have a new MBP and are curious as to what the results of the poll are.

I'll be getting mine within the next couple days, so I will report back once I have it! ;)

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
People who have problems will always be the ones who speak up and those are the people you see starting threads. People who aren't having problems are busy using their new laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.