Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Is there a software way of turning the fan on and off ( and off course setting it back to normal again afterwards )??

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
It is highly recommended that you do not muck with it.

1. Your PC may overheat and fail (by fail, I mean it won't even start up in target disk mode subsequently)
2. In your desperation to remove evidence of tempering, you open up your MBP to try and remove the hard drive to boot it up on another Mac.
3. You bungle it up and completely screw up the machine
4. Applecare informed you that it will cost $2000 in parts to repair your machine and an additional $250 "labour" charge
5. You throw your $2500 computer into the trash

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
It is highly recommended that you do not muck with it.

1. Your PC may overheat and fail (by fail, I mean it won't even start up in target disk mode subsequently)
2. In your desperation to remove evidence of tempering, you open up your MBP to try and remove the hard drive to boot it up on another Mac.
3. You bungle it up and completely screw up the machine
4. Applecare informed you that it will cost $2000 in parts to repair your machine and an additional $250 "labour" charge
5. You throw your $2500 computer into the trash

Just pretend for a moment that the guy asking the question is not an idiot:)

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
SMC fan control that Temujin references works well. I use it when I feel like my MBP is getting too hot.

-=|Mgkwho

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
yes, smcfancontrol is a good tool, but it only changes the minimum fan speed. The lowest is the mac default of 2000 rpm. Trust me, you dont want to turn the fans completely off.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just pretend for a moment that the guy asking the question is not an idiot:)
That will be really, really tough to do. ;)

attachment.php

Edit: Don't ask us to act/pretend, we suck at it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.