MBP fan install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aj2488, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Aj2488 macrumors regular

Has anyone here had to or have replaced either of the fans in the MBP? My left one has begun to make a grinding sound whenever I run to many programs at once or play/burn/rip any type of CD/DVD. (I am 100% positive it is the fan btw) Blew it out but no help there. Anyway, I ordered up the left fan on ifixit and plan to follow the guide from the site to replace it. Any idea on how difficult the process will be? Any tips?

2. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

It's really easy. I took my entire MBP apart to clean it which made it run a lot cooler. You just need a little philips screwdriver to remove all the outer case screws, and then a torx for the two screws in the memory compartment. I didn't have a torx, but I found a flathead that was the right diameter.

3. fansub macrumors member

fix it your self!

Don't pay someone else to do what you can do your self for the cost of a precision screwdriver/cell phone screwdriver kit. I had the same issue with my laptop so it took the top of using a guide on the net, carefully removed the problematic fan then removed the fan from its casing (its held on by a magnet) you just have to 'pop' the fan out.
    After that i simply used some oil on the metal pin that the fan sits on cleaned of the dust and made sure it wasn't rubbing on any part of the housing. Done! and for less than $5

4. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a set of drivers and torx from when I replaced the HD so that shouldn't be a problem... interesting it runs cooler, I'll have to clean out the insides as well! Did you lightly spray canned air through out or what?

Interesting that you just oiled it to fix it, I kinda wish I hadn't already ordered the new one. I'll keep this in mind for next time... Thanks!