MBP fan, need urgent makeshift advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rinz, May 2, 2009.

1. Rinz macrumors newbie

Okay, basically I've suspected for a while that something was going to happen with the right fan on my MBP, as its been making a lesser whirring sort of noise every now and again for weeks. So I was horrified but not too surprised, when it suddenly started to make a sort of noise that can only be described as heart stopping.

I've turned it off for now. Under normal circumstances I'd phone up apple, but I still have two weeks of projects and exams at Uni - I pretty much need it.

I have no real clue, but I imagine it being dust that has unbalanced the fan or something like that. On that premise, I'm really looking for quick fixes and short term solutions while I get the rest of my work done. I've read mixed suggestions about shaking:)eek:), vacuuming, and compressed air. I was wondering if any of these are likely to solve the problem, and if any of them are actually dangerous.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

don't shake it! Try the vacuum first, then compressed air.

3. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I ran my MacBook Pro for a few weeks without a fan last semester. My fan broke and jammed itself. The left one will just work harder to keep the system cool. Don't worry about it. If you want, disconnect the loud fan.