MBP Fan Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukin, Apr 9, 2009.

1. lukin macrumors regular

Recently I was in a quiet room and noticed my unibody MBP was making a weird fan noise. It's not the normal noise made from the normal turning of the fan, it's a humming noise. Almost sounds like it's kind of straining.

I've never noticed it before. I do use smcFanControl and keep my fans on 2000 normally. I can hear the weird humming more prominantly when the fans are on low rpm. It's drowned out by regular fan noise when at higher rpms... it's not loud, it's just not normal.

1) Should I take it into the Apple Store?
    2) If I go into the Apple Store with smc fan control installed and used, will that be held against me? Or should I uninstall it?

Thanks

2. StvRndy macrumors member

Which MBP is yours? Does this noise / sound goes through to external speaker / earphone of you connect through the audio out port?

3. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

It's the late 2008 Unibody MBP. I had my headphones on all day at work without hearing it until I took my headphones off. I'm sitting here watching the masters without my headphones when I noticed it. I just put them back on and it does not carry through the audio out.

4. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

5. Mcmac17 macrumors member