MBP Fan Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saxondale., Jan 9, 2008.

1. saxondale. macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if its because im driving a 24" monitor but every time i play a youtube video, edit photos (aperture) the fans kick in. Very loud. I'm only running the main monitor, so im not using dual (the mbp screen and the 24"). The MBP is mounted on the griffin stand, so in theory temperatures should be slightly better than normal, but it definitely doesn't like me editing photos on the dell 24". Is it simply because it can't handle editing from a 24" monitor?

2.33GHz
    2GB
    X1600

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I find that flash videos (like those on youtube) make my MBP 2.33 get really hot...and then the fans kick in. Quitting Safari helps sometimes - especially if you have it open for long periods of time.

Use Activity monitor and see what is running when the fans kick in. I find that safari sometimes takes a large % of CPU, even when it isn't doing much. Often this is after I have been watching flash video like youtube...

Don't know why the external monitor would matter, although maybe the video card gets hotter if you are running it a higher resolution. I have a 17" MBP running the internal display at the native 1680x1050...