Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

100wheeler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Hi All,

New to this forum and have been reading the threads regarding MBP temperature. I have a 2GHz MBP which thankfully doesn't seem to show most of the problems described on these pages but I am concerned about the fans.

I would appreciate it if other MBP users cold verify the following:

1. My fans are on all the time from the time I awitch on to the time I switch off irrespective of the MBP case or processor temperature.

2. The fans are always running at 1000 RPM again whatever the temperatures are.

Yesterday the processor was showing 70 deg C and the case was pretty hot yet the fans were not going any faster.

I have played with the SMC fan control and this works fine i.e. I can make the fans speed up manually if required.

I also used the apple diagnostic software on disc 1. I could hear the fans being put through their paces (Speeding up and down) and the diagnostic said all was ok.

So what's going on? Surely at 70 deg C the fans should be running a bit faster than their minimum setting?

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks...

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
The fans are always going to be running at 1,000 RPM, yes.(unless the machine gets hot, and the machine turns the fans up more) For the 70 degrees C, that is another question. That is pretty hot, but I think there is a certain number that the fans go by to turn up, I think the fans try to work around to get the temperature in the 68 degrees celsius area, but I am definitely no expert, this is all from my observations. I can't stand it that hot so I usually have my fans running at a constant 2,000 RPM which keep going great. I don't know how you feel about keeping the fans at that rate, but you might want to try it just to feel the difference. If you are concernced then you might want to consider taking a few minutes to call Apple tomorrow or on monday and ask them about the situation if it is uncomfortable for you.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Don't be overly concerned. The fans are keeping up with the heat output. That we know for a fact because otherwise your CPU will just keep getting hotter and hotter and eventually turn off due to thermal protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.