MBP fan speeds and such.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blurr, May 31, 2007.

1. blurr macrumors newbie

blurr

I have started using an external monitor for my 2.33ghz MBP. Ive noticed that while just idling on the desktop for a while, the fans will go off and reach speeds up for 5500+ RPMs. I keep the main display off and just use the external with the lid closed. I wanted to know if there is anyway to reduce the fan speed, and if it is allright for the machine to stay like this for long periods of time such as days or weeks.

Thanks.

2. blurr thread starter macrumors newbie

blurr

3. blurr thread starter macrumors newbie

blurr

4. Winterfell macrumors regular

There will no doubt be others that can give you more information than I can, but, I will say that there does seem to be some difference in temperatures and fan speeds between MacBook and MacBookPro models.

One thing that I can think of right off the bat is having your display closed. A lot of heat escapes upwards through the keyboard and the vent just in front of the display hinge, and when the display is closed, that effectively cuts off any "upward" heat dissipation.

You might try keeping your display open as a second display, or turning it away so it doesn't distract you from your external display and just watch the temperature and see if there's much of a difference.

5. TimJim macrumors 6502a

theres a free program called smcFan Control that allows you to control your fans.