MBP Fans always running 6200 - don't know why!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theMouthPiece, Dec 22, 2016.

1. theMouthPiece macrumors newbie

Hi All

My MacbookPro fans are constantly running at 6200 rpm, regardless of the CPU loads as indicated in Activity Monitor.

I have posted a screenshot of Macs Fan Control in front of Activity Monitor so you can see the current CPU load (very low) together with the internal temperatures, though they are fluctuating mildly.

Screenshot 2016-12-22 23.36.25.png

Does anyone know why my MPB Fans are always running at 6200 rpm, if I have an issue, and what I need to do to rectify it please.

Thanks.

2. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

lol Very good point

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Reset SMC and NVRAM. Google the directions for your specific model.

5. daodeo macrumors newbie

Well, the CPU temp is super high for 87% idle! I don't believe resetting SMC will help, because it will not reduce CPU temp.
    On a second thought, maybe CPU temp sensors are glitchy? Is your computer really hot (you can easily feel 80C)?

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The fans are working correctly if the temp sensors are correct . Now if you say this is constant, I'd would go as far as too say you have an issue with the thermal paste and heatsink. In this case it's a return .

7. Manrico1 macrumors member

Manrico1

cpu temp are > 85' so it's normal that fans are at full speed

8. theMouthPiece thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies I posted this in the wrong thread!

Yep, it does get hot to the touch!

OK, would that likely be an expensive repair do you think?

9. halfbad macrumors member

Can you post a screenshot of your activity monitor showing all processes, select the CPU tab and order it so highest processor usage is at the top.

This should help you see what kicking up your fans.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

To be honest , you can do it yourself . Google repasting CPU. And after your done, will run cooler than stock apple paste

Find the model you have

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Heat+Sink+Replacement/5153
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2016 ---
    Though . When you do any cpu intensive work, what happens to your temps? Does it throttle ?

11. theMouthPiece thread starter macrumors newbie

Morning folks, and seasons Christmas Eve greetings to you all. Thats to everyone who has posted advice for me here, alas I think it is me who has been playing stupid, and not my Mac!!

I have my Mac set up on my desk, but I have had it placed at an angle on a lap stand thing! I thought it was designed so as to allow full cooling etc, however, since the other night when I posted this, I decided that I should see what happens if I put the Mac directly on my desk. It seems this has )mainly) done the trick, and I am on here now with my fans running at 2000rpm, and the four CPU temps fluctuating around 68/72/69/61.

Thanks again everyone, and apologies for wasting your time - especially at this time of year!