MBP fans go nuts after 10.4.11 update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marky_Mark, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Anyone else have this problem? I'm on a 15" 2.16 C2D. It's affecting my battery life too. When the fans are going at 4500-4600 rpm for ten minutes at a time, the battery time remaining dips sharply.

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

4. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Don't know how to, and I'm cautious about whether I should. The machine runs quite hot now, even though it's used in similar situations with the same airflow and cooling opportunities as it always has had. The fans are reacting to the temps as they should, so maybe a more accurate description is that the machine runs hotter than it did on 10.4.10.

5. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

What happens if you just leave it to run? does it slow down? have you installed the lastest firmware update?

Have you tried: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319 ?

6. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

It starts up, runs for about ten minutes, then shuts off, lasts ten minutes, shuts off etc. Last night I was using my laptop on my lap (fancy that, eh?), knees apart so the laptop bottom was able to radiate heat, just browsing, no other apps even open. Fans were running at 5-6000 rpm on and off, on and off, every ten minutes. No rhyme or reason. It's very strange. CPU usage seems to be up at 75-80% during these periods, but the dominant (by far - 90 something %) process is just the quartz-wm Window Manager. Jiggered if I know what's going on.

7. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

I gave up trying to rationalise and just restarted the bloody thing

Heh - thought I'd fall back on an old Windows trick and did a 'therapeutic reboot'. :D

Now the highest CPU process currently running (ironically) is Activity Monitor at less than 2% of CPU.

The machine runs cooler, CPU usage is less than 4% on average, and the hard drive's stopped thrashing away like a whirling dervish.

Bollock knows what was happening, but there was something wrong with that quartz-wm process that ran at something like 97% CPU. It was just caning the CPU all the time, and when I switched off a core (one of my theories was the recently installed Processor Pane from the dev toolkit), the graph was just solid 100!

Anyway, a reboot seems to have restored my MBP's sanity. It's the first time I've restarted since the one immediately after the update install. Maybe something just got screwy. In the meantime, I've burnt my thighs, been deafened by my fans and HDD and seen my battery last 1:35 hours max. Now it's happily sitting at a more normal time remaining of 2:49. All is well.