MBP Fans never slow down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by etiscool, Aug 22, 2009.

1. etiscool macrumors newbie

My Unibody 17" MacBook Pro (10.5.8) Is having a few issues that I cant figure out how to deal with.
    I got this laptop I think in April. And a few weeks ago I noticed the a loud humming noise that wasnt there before. It seems, after finially looking into this problem, that my fans are running at full speed from the second I hit the power button, right until the machine shuts off. I installed istat and it says the fans are running at about 5700 rpm. I guess the good news is that It doesnt ever get warm. Although this fan noise is kinda annoying and Im worried it will burn out the fans before their time.

Also some time later I realized that the backlight on the keyboard didnt work and I couldnt get it to turn on manually. As well as the auto brightness adjust for the screen stopped working.
    I have installed labtick and the keys do light up with that program (although I liked it when apple did it auto for me)

I read some threads here and really thought I had it with the reset the SMC. But to no avail. I also tried resetting the PRAM, which also didnt help.
    Im not sure If any of these problems are related or If this is just the most bunk MacBook Ive ever bought. Any Insight will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You for your time
    Ben

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Do you have anything in activity monitor that is hogging resources or particularly CPU intensive?

3. etiscool thread starter macrumors newbie

Firefox is taking up the most of anything with about 210 MB of real memory, and say about 15 (CPU Units?), oh and it says 1.2 GB of virtual memory... which I guess seems weird now that I wrote it out??? Looking around, if I look at all proccess that is also what window server uses. Im kind of assuming that just means it takes what it needs when it needs them???

4. etiscool thread starter macrumors newbie

Shirley, there must be a way to slow the fans, at least. No?