MBP Fans not turning on after Leopard install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by e²Studios, Jan 16, 2008.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I was doing some rendering and I realized that the random restarts were caused by heat. Under Tiger my fans would be going full speed during a render, however under Leopard they are barely going 2500RPM with the CPU fully utilized.

I never had an issue with the fans under Tiger, in fact I had done some huge render jobs before upgrading to Leopard. Once Leopard installed I noticed random reboots, then i realized it only happened when the CPU was really taxed. At first I thought a bad memory module, ran AHT 2 times under "extended" with no errors detected, and repaired permissions. Then I downloaded a app that shows the temp and fan speed. I realized that the CPU was getting 70+C temp and the fans were going no faster than 2498k RPM, once it reached around 78C the machine would restart.

The fans on my MBP have worked fine until I installed Leopard, This may be in the improper forum but my issues started once I installed Leopard so I am pointing the finger at that. I installed smcFanControl and forced the fans to a minimum of 6k RPM, I could do my render fine with no random restarts which tells me that what I thought was true, the fans aren't kicking in when they should.

My MBP is out of Apple Care, but I think I can call them since I believe this to be Leopard related? Any Advice/tips?

Specs:
    OS X 10.5.1

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
    SMC Version: 1.2f10

Mods if you need to move this please feel free, I just feel this is Leopard related.

2. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios