MBP fans not working after awake from deep sleep failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Denis Ahrens, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Denis Ahrens macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a new MacBookPro 2016 15" (2.9GHz, AMD 460) which has sometimes a problem with waking from deep sleep. If that happens the fans are not spinning at all (you can see this in smcFanControl or other tools) even if the machine does heavy work.

This is very dangerous. The only solution so far is to reboot the machine again. If you not do this the machine gets really really hot. I don't know what happens if it gets too hot because didn't dare to test it.

You can see the sleep failures with the following command:

> pmset -g log |grep -i failure

PS: the deep sleep happens after 10800 seconds (3h) after normal sleep if no power is connected.

2. Denis Ahrens thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

This still happens on EVERY wake after a deep sleep. I tried macOS 10.12.2b6 and it still happens.

Denis

3. Egally08 macrumors newbie

What temperature have you let it get up to? I'd be interested in knowing if this is a common occurrence or just happening to you. Mine arrives on Tuesday.

I would think if it was wide spread, and the fan didn't kick on at all until reboot, there would be machines already burning out. I haven't rebooted my late 13" in over a month.

4. Denis Ahrens thread starter macrumors newbie

I think most of the people will never notice which is the worst part because it has the potential to damage the hardware.
    The problem is, that the fans will not ever start to spin because the SMC has a problem.

see my image of the smc fan values here:

https://twitter.com/denis2342/status/807072875312246784

Denis