MBP fans running full speed when charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qawes, Nov 4, 2010.

1. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

I've got this weird problem with my late 07 SR 17'' MBP, after I plug in the Magsafe charger the fans start spining and in like 3 minutes they reach 6000 rpm (both of them) and stay that way until it's finishing the charge.
    I did the same exact tasks with my laptop charged and plugged in, and the fans stay around 2000 rpm, as opposed to when it's charging staying at full speed.
    Should I be worried about this? Has somebody experienced a similar issue?
    Appreciate any help, thanks!

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

A little worried. Your battery is causing lots of heat while charging i would guess.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use iStat Pro to take a look at your temperatures and see, if those fan speeds are warranted.

Maybe try this: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

If battery heat would be the cause of these fan speeds, the battery would start deforming and the part of the MBP above the battery would be unbearably hot.

4. qawes thread starter macrumors regular

qawes

I checked all the temperatures with iStat and they are well within normal range. That is why it's intreaging me.

At first I thought it was something with the battery getting very hot but actually it's not, it stays about the same temperature to when it's charged. In fact, the exit vent under the screen is hotter than the battery.

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Did you try resetting like he said? would be your best bet. Thats weird...

6. qawes thread starter macrumors regular

qawes

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've already resetted the SMC but with no result :(

Maybe it has something to do with the known issue of the MBP's with the Nvidia chips? But if it was, it would be a strictly graphics problem, I guess..