Mbp fans spin constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baba Ganoush, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

Hi, I got my macbook pro for Christmas last month and I have noticed that every time I check istat pro widget I see my fans are spinning. It seems that they average between 1993-2004 rpms and never go above or below those numbers. My temperatures dont go very high at all. My cpu rarely goes above 125 degrees F. and the hottest part in it is the gpu which is usually at 130. Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this with their MBP? It is a 15.4 2.2ghz SR with 2GB ram.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

umm...yeah, if the fan didnt spin your computer would melt...im not sure what you are asking, but yeah those temps are normal

3. Baba Ganoush thread starter macrumors member

I am asking if the fans spinning constantly is normal. This is the first mac I have ever owned. Every other laptop Ive had has the fan start up when it gets hot then stops when it is done cooling the laptop down. So my concern is if the fans in my MBP should spin constantly. Sorry if I was unclear in my first post. :eek:

4. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Fans spinning constantly is not normal.
    Check your Activity Monitor to see if there are any processes active above the norm.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

most laptops have 2-3 fans that spin at different times, on fan that spins when needed, but usually they have a fan or two that are on all of the time, my brothers girlfriend had a toshiba laptop that the fan froze up and she couldnt even get into windows without it over heating and dieing, so..im not sure were you've seen any laptops that dont have at least one fan that constantly spins

umm, yes..it is

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

~1800 RPM 24/7/365 at idle for my MacBook.

Attached Files:

• fans.png
      fans.png
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure you are reporting completely normal things happening. I say that as a MBP owner.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

do not forget! the fan speed is based on the memory controller temp, NOT THE CPU TEMP

mine

Attached Files:

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

in the macbook and MBP, fans spin constantly. Its speed varies on temperature, however. Usually doing minor things your MBP should remain quiet.

i dont know what laptops you've used, but I've used thinkpads with louder fans.