MBP Fans Wont Stop (Already tried common fixes)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RATabora, May 1, 2008.

1. RATabora macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Santa Rosa MBP 15" 2.4GHz

Here's the deal. A while ago I replaced my harddrive meanwhile breaking the connection from the trackpad/keyboard to the logic board. The connection still worked in some aspects (the power button worked, the bluetooth still worked) but the keyboard and trackpad were not working. So I bought a replacement upper case (Apple Part #: 922-8036). It was very difficult to do, but I replaced the upper case. Now the trackpad,keyboard, power button, bluetooth all work, but the fans wont stop! They run at 6000rpm at ALL times, starting right when I boot up.

I reset the SMC (holding power button without AC/battery), PRAM(cmd option p r), and the firmware(hold power button until beep).

Ive tried running the laptop without any upper case at all, and the fans still go crazy. I run it with the old upper case, and the fans are fine... What the heck?! Does anyone know how the upper case affects the fan control?? Any suggestions?

2. RATabora thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention, I ran the apple hardware test and got this error with the new upper case on

4SNS/1/400000000 Ts0P

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

fan speed is controlled from something in the keyboard (i believe), one time i booted my system with NO keyboard/trackpad connected and the fans ran full speed, so this is most likely your problem its hardware, and something with the top case

4. RATabora thread starter macrumors newbie

I would definitely agree, I just need to know what it is :confused:

5. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Perhaps install SMC Fan Control and see what the temperature of your CPU is. If its running a normal temperature, create a profile to reduce the speed from 6,000 rpm to say 5,500 rpm. If this works and the temperature stays about the same, try dropping it to 5,000 rpm and keep trying, keeping an eye out.

If you can prove that your MPB is stable then I'd get Apple to look at it as potentially faulty hardware.

You won't need to worry about frying your MBP as it will auto shut down if it gets to a dangerous temperature! Been there - done that ;)

Let us know your results

pac

6. RATabora thread starter macrumors newbie

The temperature is about 38 degrees Celsius at all times, fans usually at 6000 rpm :( The default low temperature for my fans is set to 2000, but it wont let me actually lower the fan speed.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Apparently you didnt read what i wrote...so ill try again

first and foremost ITS HARDWARE RELATED (see part A), no software is going to fix this, unless.. (skip to part B)

A) there is a sensor in the top case, that you replaced, apparently its not working, NOW if the logic board cant see that sensor, which apparently it CANT it runs the fans full speed, while this is disabled the cpu temp HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FAN SPEED, simply telling SMC that you want is slower will NOT work because it cant see this other sensor this is determined from the temp of the memory controller

B) your only chance is that someone might know a terminal command to bypass that sensor

8. RATabora thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked through ifixit's catalog and I couldn't find any kind of fan controller on the upper case. Its definitely on the upper case because the fans run fine when I put my old upper case on without the keyboard. Ughh... I may have to go to the genius bar...

9. RATabora thread starter macrumors newbie

After repairing the permissions on the Fan Control app, I've manually set the default spin on the fans to be 3000rpm. They are actually going at that speed! Im not sure what would happen if I uninstalled fan control, but this looks like a temporary solution. Thanks!!!

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I'd be weary of using Fan Control..i think it dives a little too deep into the system if you know what I mean. I've used it on my 2.33 GHz and didn't like it.

I prefer SMCfancontrol2.