Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbp94ab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
So I've had my MacBook Pro for a couple of days now, and I'm loving it. But today when I was using it laying on my bed, I realized that the fans became really loud, something that hasn't happened before in the couple of days I've had it. I Did have several programs open and was using the camera for video chat, is it because of that, or because of having it on the bed, because I know i had a similar problem with my previous PC.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Probably using the webcam. That uses a lot of power, and when you have it on the bed, it doesn't let it dissipate heat like it's supposed to. Easiest way to fix that is to find a book to set it on. It may still heat up, but not as much

mbp94ab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
i've rested it on a table now, and i can still hear the fans, which i was never able to before, do you think they will stop?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
mines worst.. when i watch a youtube video it turns on i have it on the desk

Watching streaming compressed video is a relatively intesive process, especially if using flash. Your behavior is to be expected.

As far as the fans go, let em work. If you have multiple programs open, lots of flash (youtube videos, games), or are doing heavy processing, the fans are going to ramp up as the temp and voltage elevate, which again is normal.

DO NOT place your machine on a surface like a bed, high carpet, towel etc without something like an iLap, books or something to elevate. This will block the airflow of your machine. The machine will shut down once it reaches it's thermal threshold, but you could still end up burned.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As said before, Flash is used on most video watching websites and Flash is highly CPU intensive.

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
4745264042_9c23afdbc9_b.jpg

You can also use iStat Pro to monitor your temperature and fan speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.