MBP fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dukebound85, Jun 13, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

We all know that the retina model has the asymetric fan blade design. Does anyone know if the fans in the non retina are of this nature?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, those fans are part of the newly redesigned cooling system, which is only found in the retina model.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

And does anyone have any details on what exactly is "asymmetric" about them, or why it's useful?

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

spacings between blades vary. Symmetric causes a certain frequency. Asymetri causes a broadening of the frequency signature. So it should be alot less noticeable to hear

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very valid question! I was not aware they were found in the MBA. I see iFixIt.com hasn't yet done a teardown of the 2012 MBP non-retina. I'll keep looking to see if there's any evidence of those fans. Thanks for the "heads up".

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

In the retina MacBook Pro teardown they said that the Air's fan wasn't asymmetric though. "We jumped at calling the fan inside the MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 "asymmetrical," but when compared to the fan inside this MacBook Pro, the Air's fan is definitely more periodic." So the non-retina MacBook Pros will probably be like the 2012 Air's. Asymmetric, but not to the level of the retina MacBook Pro.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! I was just reading the MBP-RD teardown and found that quote. I came back to report it and you had already done it! Are you reading my mind? Looking over my shoulder? :D