MBP Firewire 400/800 causes my MBP to crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dude3d30, Feb 9, 2008.

1. dude3d30 macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I'm just encountered a problem. When i use my fire wire ports 400 and 800 simultaneously, and when i run certain programmes, my MBP would crash and prompt for me to hold down my power button to restart.

I use my MBP to do audio work. I have an audio interface connected to my 400 port and a 750GB Western Digital My Book Studio ext HDD attached to my firewire 800. I also do have a USB Seagate Ext. HDD attached to one of my USB ports. The other port is used for a USB iLok Key. When i start up my Pro Tools software with all the hardware above connected, the MBP would crash and prompt for a restart. Same goes for launching Logic Express 8. I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Anyone knows why is this so?

2. BrittQ macrumors regular

I'm sorry I do not have a solution to your problem. But this is somewhat related, and might be useful to you:

I read that "FireWire 400 port shares the SAME bus as the FireWire 800 port. So using a FireWire 400 device with a FireWire 800 device connected, slows the FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 speeds."

3. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

It could just be a wrong mix of all those things running at once. Have you experimented to see what the problem is? You should just try doing what made your computer crash but without one component, and see what the problem is.

4. dude3d30 thread starter macrumors newbie

When i disconnect my HDD connecting to my firewire 800, my mac doesn't crash when using Pro Tools or Logic. Does this mean that i can't use both firewire ports at the same time?

5. Frawley macrumors member

Frawley

I just got a 1TB WD Pro drive and I am hoping to run it thru my 800 port, while my other drives are on the 400.
    The same thing is happening to me in that my finder freezes up and I have to restart. I will try running everything on the 400 and see what happens.
    This really sucks if you can not use both ports at the same time.