MBP first gen hard drive updated problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freeflywing, Aug 16, 2008.

1. freeflywing macrumors newbie

I have the MBP 2.16Ghz first gen hard drive, and the hard drive is about to die. so i wanna update it to the Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200 rpm hard drive instead of using 100GB 7200rpm. as i know, my generation MBP used to only install a 8 MB Cache hard drive with 7k rpm. The new drives with the better capacity, with 7200 rpm (more than 100 GB) have the 16 MB Cache, and the 5400 rpm drives still use the 8 MB Cache. My question is: is it going to be a problem if I install a 16 MB Cache Western Digital Scorpio Black into my MBP, and does it gonna work? thx for helping my Grandfather machine.

Chris

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

as long as its sata and the right physical size you can put anything in it

and thats not a grandfather machine, Powerbook G3s are grandfather machines:p

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

I dunno, but I have that exact same system and my hard drive died at the end of May. Made clicking noises on startup. I did a web search and found out it was a very common problem. Only good thing was Applecare replaced my 100GB with a 120GB, which I appreciated.

4. freeflywing thread starter macrumors newbie

na...=.="...they downgraded your hard drive. the 120GB should be a 5400 rpm drive...the one you have had was a 100GB 7200rpm drive...

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You can find step by step guides here, if it makes things easier print them out first so you'll have a reference should things become a little sticky. Also helps if you have the necessary tools - see site for details.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

yea ifixit.com is great site for DIYs. Although, the macbook's hard drive chamber is a little more easy to swap with a newer drive. The MBP's drive is located in the same area, the bottom left corner, but you have to remove the palm rest and the keyboard. look at the guys post above me for the link.

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

It was a refurb 1st gen MBP, so 5400 RPM.