MBP - Flash drops frames - wtf

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdsvtdriver, May 3, 2009.

1. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

New MBP as of three weeks ago.. 2.66

When playing flash videos from youtube, SD or HQ, frames get dropped every so often. The audio doesn't stutter, just the video hangs for a half second or so.

This happens in Safari 4 and Firefox 3.

I have uninstalled flash and reinstalled. Same problem. Even switched to the 'Higher Performance' video card. Nope.

Loaded up IE7 via Fusion and video plays fine.

I assume from previous posts that the mac just sucks at flash playback?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its not that the Mac sucks at Flash playback, its that Adobe didn't make Flash properly for Mac. Its because when they made it for Mac they made it massively processor intensive, so if your Mac doesn't have a fast processor its awful. Flash was originally made for Macs which makes things suck even more. You'll notice your CPU heating up and your fans getting louder when you watch Flash videos online such as on youtube.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Adobe not making flash properly = macs sucking at flash playback. it may not be apple's fault directly but that doesnt change the fact that macs suck at it.

4. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I've always hated flash on macs. I can't imagine that Adobe would purposefully design flash badly for macs, but I guess they just don't put as much work into it as they do windowz.

5. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

I could understand the flash playback sucking if what you describe happened, however both cores do not go over 50% and the fans in the notebook haven't gone over ~2k RPMs since I have had it.

Ridiculous for a $2k laptop.

6. lapino macrumors regular

Same here. Flash video (for example shacknews.com and gametrailers.com) tend to drop frames quite a lot, almost like the video stops when reading from the buffered hdd info. Very annoying. No fix?

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You could use a plug in to download and convert the video i guess, but might be more time consuming than just getting the skipped frames

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do you def have the latest flash version installed? it changes all the time, maybe the fix might be small enough to give you an extra frame or two :p