MBP For College Personal Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MallCop, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

So I will start college in the fall and have been informed that I will be required to have have Windows. The minimum requirements for the computer are 4gb ram, Intel processor, 250gb hd, ethernet port, CD/DVD drive. Now I have the current gen MBA with 2gb ram and 128gb ssd. I thought that it would be sufficient running windows but I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and it runs horribly not to mention there is barely any HD space left. My thought was to sell the MBA and get a MBP 15. I have been reading about the overheating issues and HD noises in the new ones but is that only if you are maxing out or near maxing out the computer? It would never be pushed further than running windows and some business programs and power points connected to an external screen.

On a side note what is required to take advantage of the back to school deal if I go to the store?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is your budget? I don't really understand the logic of buying a Mac with the intent to only use Windows if you're on a limited budget.

3. 184550 Guest

I agree, $500 or $600 buys a decent Windows laptop given the programs you need to run.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I can't comment on the overheating or HD noise issues except to say that some people seem to have the issue, and others don't. Your best bet is to grab the MBP sometime before classes start and test it out for yourself.

As far as the back to school deal, when I took advantage of it several years ago, there weren't any strict requirements (i.e., don't worry if you don't have a college ID yet.) I remember taking my acceptance letter into the store just in case, but I didn't need it.

5. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Money isnt really an issue but I would just get the base 15 MBP and I wouldnt use it just for windows. I honestly hate windows and have been using mac for the past few years. I would only use windows for school and the mac side for personal computing and any school work that doesnt require windows.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping to do, just take in my letter. I need to bring the computer to orientation at the end of June and wont get my ID till I go.

6. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

If money isn't an issue, and you're buying a 15" MBP, then I would actually get a 2.2 and possibly an SSD. Why?

You say you wish to run Windows, I would add more power to your MBP to ensure that you'll get the most mileage out of running two OS'es on your hardware. 2.2 should also future proof you for a while!

7. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

I was debating on an SSD but I dont think they are worth $500+ for one that is over 250gb. Do you think that the 2.2 would give me a bigger boost on speed? I was thinking of maybe adding 8gb ram?

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I think the base 15" is a good idea. (The higher ends if you can afford it are definitely nice, of course.)

I haven't had any hardware problems with mine, and you see these kinds of complaints any time a new model comes out. You can't really judge my forum posts, since few people are going to post "I have no problems!" leaving the data very skewed.

I find it very odd that they specify 250 GB HDD and an Intel processor. Particularly, the latter. It's not like AMD isn't good enough for college. Not that any Macs have AMD processors, but it just strikes me as very strange. Is it not "minimum recommended" or something?

ETA: The SSD is really up to you. If you can afford them without breaking the bank, they're worth it. But it really depends on what you can afford. As for the 2.2, unless you're doing very cpu-intensive work, you probably won't see a difference there; the 8 GB RAM would help a lot more for most applications. However, the 2.2 models have a much better GPU, which might make it worth it if you're interested in gaming.

9. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I think Im going to go with the base model but with the antiglare display and then upgrade the ram myself. And yes they are minimum requirements they say Intel for mac cause they dont support the powerpc and with windows computers they give a specific model of processor that you need to meet or exceed be it intel or AMD.

On a side note does anyone with the antiglare display think that it is drastically worse for movie watching than the highres glossy screen? I just prefer the look of the antiglare better.

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Ahh, if those are the Mac-specific requirements that makes a lot more sense. I guess the 2007 MacBook I did my undergrad with wouldn't make the cut, though. :( (4 GB RAM installed; 3 GB useable.)

(Sorry, feel free not to answer, I'm just still a bit curious.) Are those requirements specific to your major? Because I can think of plenty of majors that would be fine with the base MBA model.

11. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I too and confused about the minimum specs required. 4GB ram?

What kind of degree is this?

12. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

I too thought I would be fine with my MBA but when I received my packet of papers there was the technology section and it said that for Macs an intel processor is required, 4gb ram is highly suggested because of windows and a 250gb or greater hard drive is required.

Im a Finance major so I too am a little confused as to why they want the computer to have this but I can see the 4gb ram parts becuase using windows on my MBA drives me crazy. During orientation I have to bring the computer so they can check it out and install stuff on it.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Jeez, when I think back, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I was in college but they never had any requirements like that for me back in good ol' 2002!

14. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Wow. That's just plain weird.

15. vettefanZR1 macrumors newbie

I didn't go there, but at Rose Hulman in Indiana, they provide you with a computer. Apparently every year it changes. I would hate to be in the class that got Dells.