MBP For Graphic Design Student [Help]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin., Feb 23, 2008.

1. jamin. macrumors regular

Hello Everyone

I plan to go to College next year to study Visual Communications in Graphic Design, WebDesign and Multimedia etc and I plan to buy the next updated model of the MBP, only because I really need a new machine as my current PC is so old and I thought getting it now would give me time to get used to MAC OS, so I will be a little more experienced in it for College.

I currently have my eye on the MBP 15" 2.4Ghz, Matte screen of course.

The question I want to ask will the 2.4 Processor serve my needs for the next few years?, as I will only be a student? Once I am in the workforce I would probably go for the higher end of the range but right now I don't really want to spent too much on it.

Feel free to input.

Jamin

P.S Will also be using the MBP as my only computer connected to an external 20" display. So it will be my desktop setup for this year and for a few years to come.

2. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

It all depends. Do you know what programs you will be using? That will determine what kind of computer to get.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

You should be fine. Incremental increases will take place over time, but nothing so substantial that your MBP would be rendered unusable, I would think.

I did a lot of video editing over a two year period in college using a 15" G4 PowerBook without a problem, and the CD MBP came out towards the end of my last semester and had no effect on my ability to continue doing what I was doing....

MacDann

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You should be fine with the 2.4. My friend has been doing similar studies to what you are doing, and he used a 1.33ghz g4 powerbook for 3 years. The MBP's are much more powerful.

5. jamin. thread starter macrumors regular

Software I probley will be using a lot will be:

Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Final Cut Pro

but also a lot of other software that comes with the Adobe and Final Cut Suites.

6. MightyBrutus macrumors newbie

Judging from what you've posted here, the MBP seems like the ideal machine for what you need it for.
    What kind of programs will you be using?
    autoCAD?

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Hopefully he'll be using the adobe suite.

Anyways, yes, the 2.4 MBP would certainly suit your needs now and for a couple of years, however I would wait it out. If you're not going until next year (this upcoming fall? or the following?), wait until the July before you'll start. That will give you a solid month of familiarizing time without putting you at a disadvantage by the time you actually start.

Edit: wow I type way too slow. When I went to reply there was only one response!

8. jamin. thread starter macrumors regular

I seriously can't wait to July!!
    I mean I will wait till then if there is no update till then but if the next update is before, I will be buying the day its released! I have been waiting for ages and my current DELL is 6yrs old. It is so slow with 3gig left on the HD and without a DVD Player or Writer. I can barley run Photoshop on it at the moment and I need more space and I do not see the logic in upgrading my crappy machine now, when I could put the money towards the MAC. I just can't wait till July for a major update. It dosn't bother me if there is a case redesign and such, we will never keep up with technology. Not to mention I am ready to kill WINDOWS OS!

9. jamin. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I plan to :)

10. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I'm running AutoCAD (student edition) on my "late 2006" MB Pro no problem. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign (all CS3), Windows, Fusion, all sorts of things.

The only time I ever brought it to its knees was when I had Windows in one virtual machine running a scan and update, while Ubuntu Linux in another virtual machine was running its update, and I was watching videos and downloading things in Mac OS itself... :)

11. MightyBrutus macrumors newbie

From what I've heard AutoCAD runs great with the MBP.
    Rumors confirmed! :)