MBP for Graphics Designing and Film Editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mo Helio, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Mo Helio macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of picking up a MBP soon and I was wondering which one would be best suitable for some graphics designing and heavy film editing. I'm looking to run programs like Final Cut X, Adobe Photoshop, Logic, Microsoft Office, and Adobe After Effects with no strain.

I visited a local Apple store and one of the sales associates suggested me one of these:

13-Inch MacBook Pro
    $1499
    2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    4GB memory

I just wanted to know will this MacBook be able to handle the kind of work I'm hoping to do with no lag? Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Get the 15" instead unless you mainly plan on working with an external display.

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking you should go for the quad core available in the 15". You also get a dedicated video card. You'll definitely...definitely want 8GB RAM - get that aftermarket though. You will also want a SSD - they are amazingly fast (also get aftermarket).

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Agreed. The screen resolution would make it difficult. However, the system itself would be quite powerful for that type of work unless you're working with large HD files, then it could slowdown.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Actually I think the 13" will be a fine machine.

Reason being because it sounds like you'll be going into some sort of training program or something like that-point is the stuff you'll be doing for the first year or two won't be that big of a deal.

Do you plan on editing HD contents in FCX with multiple tracks, all uncompressed with active fx?
    Do you plan on working on multilayer, poster size compositions in Photoshop with oodles of effects such as but not including smart blur, extrude (or some other processor intensive effect). Perhaps batching thousands of images in one sitting.
    Are you mixing phat multitrack beats for clients in Logic? Do you need simultaneous audio in/out (the 13" mbp can do one or the other, not both at the same time)?
    Do you plan on doing two or more of the above at the same time.
    Is time a factor? Are you billing by the hour?

That's the way I see it , anyway. I've seen some people talk about wanting to "pick up" photoshop and go down to the apple store dropping 3k on a decked out mac pro because they think it's what they need. If you know you'll max out your box then by all means, but if you're just learning and not doing it on a pro level, the lower level box will suffice (for now).

6. markthrash macrumors regular

markthrash

You just resurrected my original thoughts on just picking myself up a 13" instead of the 15". Seriously, this post makes one think.

I'll be doing pretty much the same work, I'm starting out with my photography and graphic work. A little video editing on the side (but that's only for my YouTube account, which I don't update on a regular basis).

Makes sense to start off small, cause we don't have to worry about professionally done material. But my only pet peeve is editing photos with Photoshop on a small-ish screen. But the 13" was my ideal due to it's portability (I checked and compared 'em out at Best Buy). They both have their advantages.

7. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

If you can go with the quad core 15, then I would suggest that as the primary choice.

However for large Photoshop files, I'll say that having more RAM is more important than having a faster CPU. Our graphics dept personnel use 13 inch MBP i7's with 8GB of RAM, connected to an EXT HDD, with an extended 23-27" EXT display.

8. yauzers619 macrumors member

As a graphic designer/photographer the 15-inch's screen resolution would be the biggest benefit. Working with the 13-inch resolution gets quite cluttered using the Creative Suite. Even with FCP.

SSD and RAM are great additions that are also highly recommended.

9. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

The native screen is good if you're planning on using it as your primary monitor but I would suggest otherwise, considering the dismal Mac resolution, working off a much larger external monitor would likely suit the user best instead of having to invest in a larger MBP model, but that's a preference call I guess.

Most pro's I've dealt with use the MBP's native LCD for internet, email, etc. while all photo and video work is pushed onto the external monitor.

10. yauzers619 macrumors member

Yup, I agree that an external monitor is a good investment. But make sure to have the best screen res you can have and use while mobile.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have the same config. Use for same purposes as well. You should be fine. I have had no difficulty.

12. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I got the MBP 13" i5, I say go with Quad core if you can afford it.
    I'm a graphic designer and a film maker, The 13" MBP is really not that great, it does the job, but it'll take a bit longer and the laptop gets pretty hot.
    Screen resolution is also a big no no for graphic designer on the 13", I can't even multitask that well on my MBP 13" of the 1280 Reso