MBP for Pro Applications

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I just need to understand something before my purchase... Lets say I have Logic running on my 5400 RPM hard drive, with an external HD connected through PCI to a RAID 7200 HD. Will the 5400 RPM hard drive bog down recording at all since the software is on that drive???

If it will bog down recording, or other pro apps, then I will just purchase an iMac. If not, I will buy a MBP (I don't want to pay for the upgraded HD). Thanks for the help.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Man, laptops are great for audio work. I love being able to take my MBP with me anywhere to work on music.
Also, my old ibook G4 used to handle recording 16 tracks at 24-bit to an external firewire drive, and my MBP (C2D 2.16) is handling playback of 40+ tracks from the same external drive without breaking a sweat.
DP and Logic Pro

Kaiser Phoenix

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
London
Man, laptops are great for audio work. I love being able to take my MBP with me anywhere to work on music.
I second that. Laptop + External hard-drive combo works great.

I use logic and Reason with mainly software synths with the majority of the samples on the external.

One thing to note is that dont fill up the internal drive and try to keep alot of space, apparently hard-drives run faster if it is less filled.