MBP for Pro Applications

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Aug 26, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I just need to understand something before my purchase... Lets say I have Logic running on my 5400 RPM hard drive, with an external HD connected through PCI to a RAID 7200 HD. Will the 5400 RPM hard drive bog down recording at all since the software is on that drive???

If it will bog down recording, or other pro apps, then I will just purchase an iMac. If not, I will buy a MBP (I don't want to pay for the upgraded HD). Thanks for the help.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My understanding is that, providing all the media is on the external storage, nothing will be 'bogged down'. I'm not a Logic user though and I'm sure plenty of audio pro's will be along to comment shortly :)

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. mopppish macrumors 6502

Man, laptops are great for audio work. I love being able to take my MBP with me anywhere to work on music.
    Also, my old ibook G4 used to handle recording 16 tracks at 24-bit to an external firewire drive, and my MBP (C2D 2.16) is handling playback of 40+ tracks from the same external drive without breaking a sweat.
    DP and Logic Pro

5. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

I second that. Laptop + External hard-drive combo works great.

I use logic and Reason with mainly software synths with the majority of the samples on the external.

One thing to note is that dont fill up the internal drive and try to keep alot of space, apparently hard-drives run faster if it is less filled.