MBP for Programming, How sturdy is keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitefang, Mar 16, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

How sturdy is the built-in keyboard for programming? Can it handle 1 million lines of code?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Are you planning to crank that out? I think you will wear out your fingers first ;)

It should be ok.

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

it should.

what kind of programming are you writing?

4. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Mostly .NET (web & os) based off the mono framework.

5. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

The good thing about the structure of the new unibody based Macbook Pros is that the keyboard seems merged with the chassis so there is no flex and seems very sturdy. Structure wise the frame is as stiff as the IBM thinkpads I've used over the years. The only possible problem I could see are the keys itself. Those things tend to wear down fast and tend to smooth out but thats mostly just a cosmetic thing. Also the feel of the Macbook Pro keyboard might put off some people who are used to the more traditional meaty keyboards.

Also the illuminated keyboard is really nice if you are the kind of person who likes to code in the dark.

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I've worn out two keyboards on my previous windows laptop from coding (letters worn off, cracked keys, and keys that just stop working). So far, the Unibody keyboard seems very sturdy. I'll let you know in a couple of years how it holds up...:D

7. tony4d macrumors member

Why are you writing that much code on a laptop keyboard? Get an external keyboard.

8. wankey macrumors 6502a

Isn't .Net a framework for windows? Why are you using a mac?

9. macDonalds macrumors 6502

He mentioned the Mono project. I don't know a lot about it but I'm pretty sure it's cross platform.

I'm a .NET dev using Fusion. I love the keyboard; plenty sturdy for countless coding sessions.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would hope that .NET helps you to avoid the need to write millions of lines of code.

11. genmic macrumors regular

The keyboard is sturdy, but if your coding your going to wear the keys shiny in about 2 days.

I've tried to keep them clean and they really just wear VERY quickly. Not a big deal though, the keyboard is still great.

12. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just wrote a 250 page dissertation on my white MacBook, and quite a bit of programming. Oh, don't forget my ridonkulous number of posts at MR. :p That's probably a good 80,000 of text on my keyboard right there.

Your keyboard will hold up.

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Plenty of authors use MBPs, and I'd bet they type a lot more lines of text than a programmer, so yes, the keyboard should normally hold up fine for programming. A million lines of code...? A million lines of writing numerous papers, articles or novels...? Hard to say, that's a lot of lines. If you typed a thousand lines of code a day, you'd still need a thousand days to get there, which is nearly three years of constant typing.

15. magallanes macrumors regular

Nothing is better than the old IBM keyboard.

I use my mbp for program (visual studio under bootcamp) and i miss some features :

insert and scroll (is tricky to do it).
    and
    right button (too is too tricky).

but the rest is fine, the brackets are in a right position and the keyboard is ok, not the best of the market, just fine.

16. The Mook macrumors member

If your doing that much typing for the sake of your body get a laptop stand and an external keyboard.

Stand

Keyboard