MBP for Protools and Raw photos-which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenHK, Mar 2, 2008.

1. BenHK macrumors newbie

I know many have asked the question about which Macbook Pro to buy but I have not read a sufficient answer for my situation. So, thanks ahead of time for the advice. I want to buy a new MBP immediately. I need it for both raw and jpeg photo files (Nikon d300), protools music recording/edits, and about three to four movies edits per year. Can I get by with the 2.4 or do I need the 2.5? I'm not sure how much the extra 6MB L2 cache and 512 graphics card will improve the performance of the programs I run. Also, do I need a 7200 rpm drive? Thanks for the help.

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

The 2.4'll get away with what you're doing fine. The added VRAM is more for 3D apps so won't result in any slow down in RAW processing. Equally it'll kick the bejusus out of ProTools.
    I'd get the 2.4, max it out with some 3rd party RAM and save some cash.
    Nice camera BTW.

3. BenHK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm going ahead and buying one today. Cheers

4. BenHK thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question. How about the 7200 rpm hard drive vs. the 5400 rpm. Do I need the fast for my programs? Thanks again.

5. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

You can get away fine with the 5400 for most things although audio/video work generally involves capturing and playing back large blocks where the 7200 has a fair advantage. As I said, the 5400 will be fine though, it's a question of budget over performance.
    Personally, given the work you intend to do, i'd opt for the base 2.4 w/ 5400 hdd, max it out to 4gb and buy a fat external HDD (FW if you can) as protools sampling will fill up your internal pretty quick.

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

7. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I'd go 320Gb 5400 RPM.

Looks like the density is soo high there is not much difference with a 7200 RPM disk anymore.

That will change when the new gen of 7200 RPM disk come out, but for now the new 320gb kick are excellent

Ralph