MBP For Repair - Wipe Out HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NomadicTy, Sep 23, 2009.

1. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Hi!

I have an MBP 2.4 SR with the defective nVidia video. I would like to get it fixed since I am now having issues with the screen going black in the most inopportune of times, sleep issues, etc. When one goes to get their laptops fixed, should one save all their data into another hard drive, clear the laptop hard drive, reinstall OSX, and turn in the laptop with no data? Or does Apple have a way of fixing things without having admin access to your hard drive?

Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They always can get in. The one time I sent it in, I copied the drive and cleared it just as a precaution. Even if you don't clear it, backing it up is a must.

3. celticpride678

When you send it out, they ask you do create a standard account so they can do testing. They have no access to your data if your account is password protected. To get access (if they need it) they will have to contact you. I would recommend backing up all data because they usually always do a fresh install of Mac OS X.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They asked me to create an admin account, apple, pwd, apple.

Still made me a bit nervous so deleted all me email passwords and keychains.