MBP for small business?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d0ster, May 3, 2011.

1. d0ster macrumors regular

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and wanted to know if any members here use their MBP for business? I am currently in the process of starting my own clothing line and wanted to start fresh with a new computer. I've been a PC user my whole life so this would be my first Mac.

What was your experience like using a MBP for running your business? Any pros or cons?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I use mine for graduate school so I'm not the best person to answer this question, but I would not jump to a Mac just yet. Since this is your first Mac, you need to know what kind of software you will be using and if it's Mac compatible. There are a ton of Mac apps out there for businesses, but Windows is still #1 when it comes to compatibility.

And yes, you can run Windows on the MBP ... but if you're going to be running Windows most of the time, it's not worth it. Get a nice Thinkpad for Windows.

I know most, if not all, Adobe's apps are Mac compatible. So if you're going to be in Photoshop most of the time, the an MBP would be a great machine for you.

Just make sure the apps work on Mac and come to the forums anytime you need help.

Hope this helps.

3. frankieboy macrumors regular

You don't want to have it stolen or lost. MBPs are popular, easy targets for thieves, and if you have your whole business on it, it can be a major problem to have that data in the hands of a stranger. Consider a cable lock and Filevault if you can't keep it close and safe another way.

And have at least two backup systems, and a recent offsite backup. Backup very often, and make sure you can restore successfully from your backups.

Have a sturdy, good-looking case for your MBP, so you look good as you go about your business, visiting customers, etc. You don't want it all beat up, since you represent a business to do with aesthetics, and you want to protect it from damage that would produce downtime.

You owe it to yourself, your customers and your employees to safeguard your business machines.

Good luck in your business! :apple:

4. Chaggi macrumors member

No offense but why a Mac for a business? Is this something specifically you need? Cause a PC can and is probably gonna be cheaper. Unless you require the battery life (and don't want to carry around many batteries) or something that the Mac gives over the windows

Cause here's what I think. I don't think you need a Mac. You're opening up a business, and that needs a lot of money to do. The only thing I can think of it the reliability and the peace of mind it can give that you can take it to an Apple Store and get it fixed relatively quickly.

Otherwise, go for the PC

5. d0ster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response everyone.

Chaggi, no offense taken at all. I want to choose a Mac because of the good things I hear about them compared to a PC. A stable operating system, better security, better UI. I figured a system that offers these benefits would be beneficial to a start-up like mine.

6. mharpo macrumors newbie

That's the beauty of a Mac, if you need to run Windows you can. OEM or Student versions of Windows 7 are relatively cheap and run very well on the new Mac's. I've been using Macs in my small business for 15 years...

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I agree with Chiggy, there's no need to spend so much money on a business expense, unless you know you need it. Otherwise they're not much better than those $200 hammers the military was buying some years ago.

If you get a PC though, definitely get a ThinkPad, Vostro, Latitude, or EliteBook business class machine. Anyone who thinks they've used a PC, and never picked up a business class PC, hasn't used a PC.

8. Uffish Thought macrumors member

MBP for new business

I bought my first MBP with the early '11 release to replace a 5.5yo PC that was dying, and to start my business.

I have no doubt that I can do anything I need for my business with this machine. I have to run IE for intranet access with my clients, so Parallels, Win7, 8GB RAM was the solution.

I also run Quicken Home and Business for my accounting on Win7, as there is no good solution for Mac.

I switched to Mac for the stability, power, ease of use, no virus software required in OS X (I run it in the Win7 environment), weight difference of other 17" notebooks and, probably most important, battery life of 7 hours consistently.

A side note; pick up a copy of Rework (book). It's a fast 200 page read about running a business that is lean, productive and focused on your customers.

9. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Let me be one of the few here to question "the mac" as a choice in business, particularly a vertical market one such as clothing.

If your needs only require general computing then yeah... I suppose. But there must be 50x more applications out there written specifically to help manage your kind of business that runs on windows and not OSX. Yes, there's bootcamp but your always at the mercy of apple for drivers.

Much to be said for getting "the right tool for the job". I just don't know what the job is.

10. d0ster thread starter macrumors regular

You all make valid points and I appreciate your inputs. Went to Best Buy earlier today and played around with their selection of laptops including the MBP. Was very impressed with the UI of the Mac and also Windows 7. It's starting to boil down to software for the two platforms but as mharpo mentioned above, the MBP can run Windows.

Uffish, thanks for the suggestion on the reading. Right now I'm taking everything in that I can when it comes to my start up. Will definitely check out Rework.

11. d0ster thread starter macrumors regular

Al Coholic, can you elaborate on drivers? From what I've read, it would only be on rare occassions where Apple would not have the correct driver and in that case I can download the driver. Thanks.