MBP freez at startup after changing to 64 bits !!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by proyoussef, Dec 5, 2010.

1. proyoussef macrumors newbie

Hello,

I want to start with the core 64-bit, so I followed the instructions listed here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773?viewlocale=fr_FR

I applied the second method (the code in terminal):
    sudo-systemsetup setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

I restart my MBP (i5, 8GB RAM ..), and here he is freez on apple logo (startup)!!! :(

Can anyone help me?
    Thank you

sorry for my english

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Switch it back? You probably wouldn't even notice a difference with the 64-bit kernel (since the OS will still run apps in 64-bit with the 32-bit kernel). You may be able to get it to boot back up simply by holding 3 and 2 at startup, but you may have to try single user mode (hold Cmd-S at startup) to try and change that file you edited back. Last resort will of course be to reinstall the system.

jW

3. proyoussef thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried all solution but I still have the same problem :(

It still freezes on the apple logo (with a Gray progress bar appears under Apple logo for maybe 1min).

I'm not sure that this problem is because changing to 64-bits (because i did this several times without any problem with a small software):(

i try all the solutions :
    - Resseting PRAM and NVRAM
    - Resetting the EFI
    - i can't startup with SafeMode:(
    - i don't have the Install Disk (i have only a MAC OS X 10.6.3, this version is not for my MBP collection 2010 i5) so i can't boot up.

i thik if i put my HD in another MBP (13-inch MacBook Pro 2010) and i install the MAC OS X 10.6.3, my MBP can start normaly again !! ?

Help me please, any solutions ??
    Thanks

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That should work if you make sure to do all the software updates before you put it back in, otherwise you could potentially be missing a driver of some type.

jW