MBP Freezes and Requires Restart....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Keukasmallie, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Keukasmallie macrumors 6502

Keukasmallie

My early 2011 MBP is experiencing random freezes that require restarts. The cursor disappears when this happens. The restarts are unusual in that the machine runs through the restart process several times before it actually starts. Occasionally the screens just turns blue and I shut down and restart.

Suggestions..?

Thanks for your input!

2. misanthrophy macrumors regular

misanthrophy

3. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors 6502

Keukasmallie

Yes it is

4. fhturner macrumors 6502

fhturner

Ok, good thought about board repair by misanthrophy, but in this case...don’t. I’ve recently conferred with a board repair guy and basically, the 15” 2011s are junk, due to the GPU failures. It’s the chips themselves in most cases, so a repair is likely to result in the same failure eventually.

One cool thing that he does is to sell a 2012 board (much improved with Ivy Bridge, USB3, and a non-doomed GPU) with a 2011 display connector swapped in. I’d recommend going that route instead. I can put you in touch with him or go to his website:

http://logic-boards.com

Tell him Fred sent you! :D

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

If you have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro that is crashing like that, I suggest you google and then read up on "RadeonGate" -- because that's almost certainly what yours has.

There are really only two options:
    1. You can permanently disable the discrete GPU, but this is an involved process that you might not want to go through. There are threads posted here about how to do it.
    or
    2. Start looking for a replacement.

If you pay $$$ to have the motherboard replaced, there is a high probability that it will just happen again.

6. fhturner macrumors 6502

fhturner

Yep. Definitely consider Steven's company at the link I put above (ok, here it is again: http://logic-boards.com). Here's what he told me in detail about the 2011 boards and the GPU issue:

The 2011 15" and 17" boards are garbage; there's no point in replacing the GPU because the flaw/defect is *inside* the GPU chip itself. We replaced 300+ several years back, but noticed a very high instance of failure post-repair. After talking with engineers in Europe, we were informed that even "new" chips have the defect, as it's in the actual design of the chip (i.e. not a manufacturing/process defect). They will all fail eventually, and replacing the GPU is only a temporary fix. Most last <12 months, and many last <6 months. It's not a reliable repair and we don't perform it anymore, as it was an absolutely enormous headache to deal with all the returned units...

What we offer instead is to install 2011-style connectors onto 2012 (820-3330) boards, which will fit perfectly into 2011 cases and problem is solved. No garbage 2011 GPUs to worry about, and much better performance and reliability. We charge $369.00 for an 820-3330 (2.3 i7) board with 2011-style LCD connector.

I will add that the 2012 board includes significant (IMHO) improvements such as an Ivy Bridge CPU (which improves Quick Sync H.264 to handle 4K vs. HD1080 for Sandy Bridge 2011...tremendous benefit for playing back 4K H.264), better power efficiency (due to Ivy Bridge), and USB3. So if you're gonna replace the logic board, definitely get one of these.

7. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors 6502

Keukasmallie

I may have remedied the problem by reinstalling the OS. No problems since doing that. If that doesn't solve my problem, I'll be back to you for the info you mentioned.

Thanks