MBP freezes, has to be force-shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macaaronb, Apr 26, 2012.

1. macaaronb, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

macaaronb macrumors newbie

Hi all,

In the past two weeks my MBP has completely frozen three times. What happens is that right in the middle of loading a page, etc it will become completely unresponsive. The screen is stuck but I hear the laptop still running. Clicking caps lock on the external keyboard or on the laptop itself does not light the indicator light, and when I tried plugging in my iPhone when it was in this state it did not start charging.

It does not correct itself after just sitting out and I have to manually shut it down by holding down the power button for several seconds.

Are there any things like a pram reset I can try before taking it in? Also does this problem sound like it is indicative of some impending crash like a motherboard failure? I did custom install a SSD about 6 months ago and it has been smooth sailing since, but this doesn't really sound like an oncoming drive failure to me. I do have the stock HDD in the optical drive slot, by the way.

I don't have AppleCare and I bought the laptop about 2 years ago refurbished (mid 2009 13"). Also--before I turn it on next, are there any things I can check in the console, error message that may hint at the underlying problem?

Thanks a lot!

Also, I should mention: There is no beachball when this occurs, it just freezes. It does not seem to be under heavy load when this happens--when this happened just now, I only had Chrome and iTunes open and the fans were not blowing heavily. Lastly, I am running the latest version of snow leopard.

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20