MBP freezes on startup and ejects install disc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patillac, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Patillac macrumors member

Patillac

Ok MR gurus I really need some help.
    I have a 1st gen MBP running 10.4.11
    I noticed that my OS was very unstable today, freezing multiple time an hour (not just a single program, the whole OS would become unresponsive). So I went and got a 1TB WD MyBook. Just as I was about to start backing everything up it froze again (nothing got moved over I had just plugged it in). I did the force quit and on reboot it hung up. I get to the blue background with the status bar completely full and just below it says "Starting Mac OS X..." I left it there for a couple hours and forced quit, same thing happens. I've removed all peripherals and tried to reboot, same hang up same place. So I put the install disc and held down C and it just ejects the disc, resumes startup and gets hung up on the same spot. I've tried booting in safe mode and nada, it just moves right along to the same damn spot.

Any suggestions? I'm desperate. Thanks in advance!!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What happens if you hold down the option key at boot? Does it show you the option for the CD? Also, try holding down the shift key at boot to see if you can get into safe mode.

3. Patillac thread starter macrumors member

Patillac

As soon as the computer turns on it ejects the install disc, so holding the option key only shows me the Mac HD, and when I hold shift it just pauses on the grey start up screen (the first screen that appears when turning on the comp) until I let go, once I let go it just resumes as if I wasn't holding anything down.

4. Patillac thread starter macrumors member

Patillac

ok I've managed to get to the "Install Mac OS X" screen. When it says "Select a Destination" I get an error that it requires 5.2 GB of free space, yet my HD shows I have 13.7 GB free. If I click on options to change install settings the prompt about the free space disappears but I have no options. I'm stuck here.
    Realllllly hoping someone has some ideas. At this point I don't even care if I lose everything, I just REALLY need a computer, most of my important docs I've emailed to myself at some point. Come on guru's you have to have something!!