MBP freezes/stuck disk/wont boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orm, Feb 11, 2009.

1. orm macrumors newbie

This is kind of a long story so ill *try* and keep it as short and to the point as possible but this thing is really getting on my nerves now :mad:

I bought a late 2008 MBP in about november last year and all was fine untill about a month ago when it started freezing. this freezing seemed to be limited to video websites like BBC iplayer and youtube etc. (this happened very often to the point i couldnt watch video because it would always freeze)

About 2 weeks ago i was browsing a few forums, google, wikipedia and gmail and it froze out of the blue. (this happened less frequently than with video websites but still enough to make it very annoying)
    In this last week it has begun to freeze when using other apps as well, things like MS word etc.

the only way to get out of all these freezes was to hold the power button down, plug it into the mains supply and restart. If i didnt plug it into the mains it would 99% hang on either grey/black screens or the apple loading screen with the little loading symbol. It also developed a little beep on startup during this time which has since vanished again.

Today i decided to try reinstalling osx as a last ditch effort before calling applecare.
    I backed everything up and inserted the disk, ran the install app, entered my password and clicked restart. the machine powered down, powered up into the grey screen and then after a few mins went black and powered down again.
    It now will not boot at all, it just goes straight to a black screen or it goes grey>black>grey>black>grey>black and then hangs on black with the fans running at top speed. + that little beep is back (i read this could be a RAM issue?)
    The install disk is stuck in the drive and im stuck with what seems to be a dead/dying machine.

I also ran an extended apple hardware test about a week ago and it didnt show any hardware failures/problems at all.

Ill be calling apple tomorrow no doubt but Im at a complete loss right now so any help would be greatly appreciated :(

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Sounds like a failed HD.

EDIT: Sorry, you say the install disc is stuck in the drive. Does it not even boot from that now?

3. orm thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct. The disk is stuck in the optical drive. If i power it up it doesnt boot at all. It simply hangs on a black or grey screen or cycles through black/grey screens for a number of minutes with fans running quite fast before going idle.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

You are holding 'c' down when you start your MBP up, yes?

Sorry if you are and I'm stating the obvious...

5. orm thread starter macrumors newbie

I havnt tried that, ill do it now and post back in a sec

Edit: Just tried holding 'C' on startup and it just cycles through grey and black screens as before.