MBP Freezing after 10.5.3 Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelsel, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. chelsel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    #1
    I have a previously perfectly functioning MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, however, after updating to Leopard 10.5.3 I am experiencing occasional sudden freezes where the mouse and keyboard are completely unusable. Even plugging in an external keyboard and mouse is unresponsive. The only fix is a hard power-off.

    Anyone else seeing this?

    Cliff.
     
  2. therealfoz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    #2
    I'm having the same problem.

    I thought it was just itunes for awhile there... but it just froze while in Firefox. itunes wasn't open.
    Never had a problem before 10.5.3
    It seems to be getting worse too. Freezing more regularly.
     
  3. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    #3
    What are your system specifications? Are you running any third party enhancements (haxies)?

    The extensions I'm using which are additional to OS X are:

    APE (2.5b1)/WindowShade X 4.2b1
    Growl
    USB Overdrive
    Flip4Mac WMV
    Keyclick

    Here's a representative process list, not sure this is the mix which causes the freeze but it's quite typical:

    4223 Activity Monitor cliff 7.6 7 27.41 MB 990.36 MB Intel
    3019 Safari cliff 1.3 14 99.25 MB 1.01 GB Intel
    160 Finder cliff 1.1 9 88.36 MB 1.04 GB Intel
    2926 Mail cliff 0.3 15 129.31 MB 1.06 GB Intel
    202 Microsoft Messenger cliff 0.3 10 27.08 MB 967.48 MB Intel
    3025 Microsoft Word cliff 0.3 7 187.40 MB 1.15 GB Intel
    158 SystemUIServer cliff 0.2 14 20.68 MB 935.87 MB Intel
    196 iChat cliff 0.2 13 73.82 MB 1.04 GB Intel
    195 USBOverdriveHelper cliff 0.1 2 3.58 MB 900.73 MB Intel
    3004 iTunes cliff 0.1 6 36.39 MB 975.70 MB Intel
    155 Dock cliff 0.1 5 27.53 MB 950.89 MB Intel
    165 CNQL4801_ButtonManager cliff 0.1 2 3.16 MB 851.96 MB Intel
    3029 Microsoft Database Daemon cliff 0.1 3 10.85 MB 920.23 MB Intel
    207 MenuCalendarClock iCal cliff 0.0 8 14.51 MB 923.37 MB Intel
    206 Image Capture Extension cliff 0.0 3 5.61 MB 878.40 MB Intel
    140 launchd cliff 0.0 3 568.00 KB 585.74 MB Intel
    194 Quıcĸsıɩⅴεʀ cliff 0.0 3 59.12 MB 985.68 MB Intel
    2964 QuickTime Player cliff 0.0 6 20.61 MB 964.30 MB Intel
    201 NETserver cliff 0.0 2 2.98 MB 851.43 MB Intel
    156 ATSServer cliff 0.0 2 15.37 MB 664.27 MB Intel
    4207 System Profiler cliff 0.0 3 26.12 MB 947.50 MB Intel
    310 Alerts Daemon cliff 0.0 4 6.67 MB 900.57 MB Intel
    223 Microsoft Messenger Daemon cliff 0.0 3 3.18 MB 851.97 MB Intel
    214 GrowlHelperApp cliff 0.0 6 26.11 MB 954.04 MB Intel
    316 AppleSpell.service cliff 0.0 1 3.79 MB 601.72 MB Intel
    144 AirPort Base Station Agent cliff 0.0 4 5.10 MB 910.35 MB Intel
    2991 TextEdit cliff 0.0 3 16.56 MB 931.64 MB Intel
    154 aped cliff 0.0 1 1.14 MB 586.77 MB Intel
    215 Growl Menu cliff 0.0 2 6.30 MB 911.15 MB Intel
    220 ControlCenter cliff 0.0 2 11.24 MB 925.86 MB Intel
    3028 Microsoft AU Daemon cliff 0.0 2 3.29 MB 868.05 MB Intel
    4222 PubSubAgent cliff 0.0 2 1.49 MB 589.14 MB Intel
    148 Spotlight cliff 0.0 3 7.15 MB 880.32 MB Intel
    166 LOGINserver cliff 0.0 2 2.96 MB 851.38 MB Intel
    149 UserEventAgent cliff 0.0 2 2.79 MB 846.37 MB Intel
    3217 ColorSync Utility cliff 0.0 3 9.69 MB 923.68 MB Intel
    63 loginwindow cliff 0.0 3 9.68 MB 936.41 MB Intel
    222 iChatAgent cliff 0.0 3 9.31 MB 862.93 MB Intel
    4160 mdworker cliff 0.0 4 8.79 MB 638.96 MB Intel
    208 Preview cliff 0.0 6 27.79 MB 978.75 MB Intel
    192 USBserver cliff 0.0 2 2.91 MB 851.38 MB Intel
    150 pboard cliff 0.0 1 588.00 KB 586.64 MB Intel
     
  4. therealfoz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    #4
    Fixed!

    I'm using Flip4Mac WMV.. that's the only thing the same as you.

    I haven't had a problem in a day and a half now.
    Based on the recommendation of another person, I ran the combo update here - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1053comboupdate.html

    Before running the install, I repaired permissions as well.

    Things have been smooth sailing ever since
     

Share This Page