MBP Freezing After Booting In 64 Bit Kernel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by t0rr3s, Mar 1, 2011.

1. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I have a 15" i5 2.53 GHz MBP with OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD. Today I just tried booting into 64 bit, apropos of nothing really, before discovering that my MBP will freeze a few seconds after coming to desktop. I just couldn't provide any input from the keyboard or trackpad. I had previously done this on my 13" 2010 MBP (with same RAM and SSD) with no problems so I was just wondering if anyone could take a guess as to the cause of the freeze.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I had this problem. Eventually I figured out that it had nothing to do with my new SSD, but rather HP's scanner software not being compatible with 64-bit Snow Leopard.

3. t0rr3s thread starter macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Aye, think you might have hit the nail right on the head with this one. My HP printer software just had an update recently too. Bit of a bugger this but thanks all the same, I just needed an idea of the possible culprit.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I made the mistake of installing the full software package from HP. Apparently the drivers that came with it were the culprit. I tricked OSX into installing a multifunction driver-only package via Software Update though, and that seemed to fix the issue. Although now OSX thinks my scanner is an HP 8500 :p

Only reason I did the full package was because HP's software supports putting multiple photos on the glass and cutting them automatically before saving. I got around this by just doing single photos and using Preview to scan things (which was a rare necessity).

5. t0rr3s thread starter macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

It works now in 64bit after I uninstalled the HP software (which I never used anyway) so yeah, big thanks! Just curious, how did you trick OSX into downloading the multifunction package anyway?