MBP freezing and OS install errors, please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snerkler, Nov 8, 2018.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Today iTunes kept freezing and I got the spinning beachball, and after a while I could get it to close using force quit. This happened several times so I thought I'd restart the computer, however the computer wouldn't restart and I got an error window saying that the Mac OS installation couldn't be completed and it brought up an installation log which it said that I could save.

I tried to save the installation log but it wouldn't allow me, and after four or five attempts at a restart it finally booted up. I immediately tried to backup via time machine, which then also crashed and I had to force close the Mac as everything became unresponsive. Fortunately it started back up without any more issues and is now letting me run a back up.

Does anyone have any idea why this happened, what caused it, whether there's a fix or whether it's a sign of a terminal issue?

I have run first aid on disk utility and it's not finding any faults. The only updates that have been completed recently are safari update and cleanmydrive2, both of which updated 4 days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Doncha just love it when a poster says he's got problems, but won't tell us which MacBook, what year made, what OS, etc....?

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oops what a muppet, I thought I'd put that in the post :oops:

It's a 2017 MBP touch bar running Mac OS X High Sierra.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a