MBP freezing issues on original computer and replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris10304, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Chris10304 macrumors newbie

So we bought a 13' MBP in the beginning of July. Almost from day 1 it had freezing issues where the screen would just go black on its own and it would go into a sleep mode. At first, it happened occasionally. It then started happening several times a day. In mid August, I took it into the Genius Bar and they replaced the Logic Board and the heat sink.

We got the computer back and the problem was still occurring. An added issue also started manifesting -- it started freezing on a particular screen, where the mouse didn't work and I couldn't force quit.

I took it back to the Genius Bar. They replaced the hard drive the same day. I brought it home and the same freezing problem occurred four times in the first few minutes after getting home.

To make a long story shorter, I went right back to the Apple store and they then agreed to replace the computer and we walked out with a new MBP. This was last Sunday.

I thought that was the end to our problems.

Since having the new computer for the past 6 days, it has gone into the same sleep mode on its own as the prior computer on three occasions.

Is it possible that I got two lemons? I'm almost embarrassed to take the new one to the Genius Bar again with the same issue.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Am I doing something wrong? My white MacBook I bought in January has worked flawlessly since day one.

Thanks

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Did you restore from a Time Machine or other backup? It's almost certainly a software issue at this point.

3. Chris10304 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. Did not restore from any backup. The computer was so new (and for my daughter for when she starts school) that she did not have anything on it yet so there was nothing to restore.

4. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Have you installed anything on it yet? Yea, I have to say this is pretty weird. Not doubting you though.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Are you using any peripherals with the computer like a 3rd-party keyboard or mouse? Any external hard drives? Anything that required a driver to be installed? Try running Apple Hardware Test on it to see if anything comes back as faulty.

6. Chris10304 thread starter macrumors newbie

Only installed MS Office and my daughter installed Oovoo. No peripherals, external hard drives or anything like that

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Run the hardware test on it to see if anything comes back as faulty. After having done that you'll probably need to go back to the Apple store unfortunately.