MBP Freezing with use of iSight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by war eagle, Aug 16, 2010.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Hey I got a new 15' MacBook Pro Unibody. It's not new but it's new to my possession. It works fine except that when I start using the camera on it. If im on skype the person on the other end sees me fine but it causes my computer to be completely unstable.

The picture of who im talking to will be a still image occasionally it will unfreeze and work for a few seconds and freeze again. Now prior to this I had a 13 inch Macbook Unibody and I just swapped the hard drives and the ram out of that one to this one.

My questions are is it common for iSight to freeze and what can I do to fix it? Also could it be t hat I dont have the drivers for the video cards or something on here because im coming from the 13 inch?

2. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the bump but I only have a few days before I can return this and I know I posted it at night so it just got knocked down, looked over.

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Are you using Mac OS X version 10.6.4? If not, it might not hurt to run software update.

Is your "new" Mac under Apple's warranty?

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

mine freezes sometimes on skype, not as much as yours but once in a while, i think a lot of it is caused from not enough bandwidth, try it in photo booth and see if it freezes, this will say if it is skype or your computer

the other thing is switching ram modules, dont quote me but i think there are specific modules for different year macbooks

5. ryanb914 macrumors member

iSight freezing

I have a 13 MBP and I don't believe my ever freezes, switching the ram and hard drive MAY be the part of the problem, but you need to do updates from software update, if that doesn't work you should probably take it to an Apple Store.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

+1

I have problems with skype video all the time like this. This is why I now am coaxing all my contacts to buy a mac so I can use iChat. :)

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

ichat is a lot better than skype, and its a plus when u can do group video chat, the only thing is you need someone with a fast internet connection because group chat eats up bandwidth, i just finished yesterday moving all my aol buddies to my mobileme ichat account so now everything is in sync between my mac and iphone

8. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've done hard drive repair, and reinstalled OS X. I'm doing the software updates now so i'll let you guys know how it works out. So far I've been able to do the video test and such on iChat without freezing.

9. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, Photobooth is smoother but after a while it will freeze. I have tried the test video on iChat and it is fine never freezes so I'm thinking maybe this computer just doesnt like photobooth. Good thing the computer has Applecare until December so i'll take it to the Apple store.