MBP freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patriks7, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I have a late 2008 MBP running Mountain Lion and yesterday I started having a weird problem. Completely out of nowhere, it starts freezing. I'm not sure if its a hardware or software problem, as my mouse still moves but I get the spinning beachball and an unresponsive Finder. The only solution to get it working again is to restart it. I have noticed it usually starts about 10-15 minutes after I start it up. I have tried repairing the disk as well as permissions, but have had no luck. Anybody have some advice?

2. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

On Retina MBP's this happens due to a Google updater agent in /Library/LaunchAgents or /Library/LaunchDaemons. Check if there is anything Google in there and delete it, it doesn't hurt. Stopped making my mbp do the same thing.

3. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Nope, no Google in there, only Adobe, Apple and Splashtop. :(

I tried doing a hardware test with through the install DVD, the short one worked perfectly, but the long one froze in the last part (bar was almost full). I'm starting to believe it might be a hardware problem... Any ideas what it checks during that last part?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Are you sure it froze? The extended test can take a REALLY long time. Especially if you've maxed out the RAM.

5. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Really long as in more than 4 hours? Plus, my mouse became unresponsive at that point. Well I guess I can try running it again tomorrow.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, it can take a long time depending on the amount of RAM. I usually set AHT to loop overnight if I'm running the extended test. Sometimes I just get 2 or 3 passes.

7. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Ah ok had no idea it can take so long, will try again then. Btw what do you mean with "set AHT to loop"?

8. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well I retried the extended test today, let it run for 12 hours and it still didn't finish. Any ideas what else to look into? After some searching, I found out that some people had a very similar problem to mine when ML came out, but I find it very strange that I started having it just now, completely out of nowhere.

9. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well I just did a fresh install of ML, and within 2 minutes I had the same problem... I think I may have narrowed it down to faulty SSD or RAM. Any tests I can do to figure this out?

10. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Is there really no one that knows what to do? :(