MBP frequently hanging after display flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhimbo, Mar 19, 2017.

1. rhimbo macrumors member

rhimbo

Hi Folks,

MBP 17", early 2008 model, Mac OS X El Captitan 10.11.6

This older Mac has been working like a dream all along until about three weeks ago when it started to randomly (I assume "randomly" that is not related to any event or problem that I could identify) hang.
    Upon "hanging" the system was unresponsive and I had to reboot via the power button. Even the Cmd-Cntrl-Eject sequence did nothing.

About two weeks prior to the hanging I noticed the display would start to randomly flicker and I had to reboot the system in order to stop the behavior. When the flickering started the system was also unresponsive.

The past two days, I would experience flicker, then the flickering would stop, but a short time thereafter the system would hang. So I'm not sure if the display flicker and the system hanging are related.

At first I thought my back light was going. But now I think there is a more serious problem. Does this sound like some kind of hardware failure?

I think it might be time for a new Mac.... But I'd like to keep this system going for another few weeks until the new systems arrive.
    :)

Any thoughts?

Many thanks....

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Other than doing a clean install to cross check if problem persists on face value it would seem hardware

3. rhimbo thread starter macrumors member

rhimbo

Thanks for confirming. It just seems like a hardware failure. I might have the local Apple store do a diagnostics. They said they'd do it at no charge.

I went there to buy a new 27" iMac by the way.... :)

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

5. rhimbo thread starter macrumors member

rhimbo

Ha! True. :)

I figured I really don't need the portability of a notebook these days. I walked out of the store with an upgrade to 16GB RAM, and I can go as high as 32GB RAM. So, this baby should last me for years.

To get something equivalent, namely a 27" high resolution monitor in a MBP, I would have had to spend an extra $1200 or thereabouts. With that money, I can probably get close to getting a MacBook when I need to start traveling with a portable.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Nice combo IMac and 12" MB :)