MBP fried after DC polarty got reversed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teote, May 15, 2014.

1. teote macrumors newbie

:confused:
    In a botched repair job on my MBP's power adapter, the positive and negative wires got reversed. Alas, when I connected it to my MBP, it died. I could smell a minute amount of burning coming from the DC jack on the MBP.
    In time, I was able to follow these instructions to replace the DC jack. However, though the procedure was followed successfully and the power adapter's polarity was corrected and connected to the MBP, the MBP is still dead. No lights. Nothing.
    What else, besides the DC jack, would probably be fried?
    Thanks!

2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Logic Board, and anything else requiring power in the Macbook.

It's awesome how much stuff can go wrong when you pretend you're an electrician.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Pretend is the wrong word.

Instead the OP should have tested the polarity instead.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Our options on what fried are not useful. The only important option is that of the repair technician at Apple or other repair center.

5. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

You're right. Even a back alley, unlicensed pretend electrician has the sense to check polarity. ;)

6. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Is there no fuse in these things anywhere to protect against something like this?

7. magnumpi macrumors member

Most likely you fried the first voltage regulator/suppressor after the jack. You will need a multimeter to follow the track till you find the dead spot and then replace whatever component is damaged. Easier said than done though.

8. teote thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for being helpful.