MBP from amazon???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dvin, Mar 12, 2009.

1. dvin macrumors member

i don't know if this has been discussed previously but here is my dilemma...I am going to buy a new 15" unibody 2.4 MBP, should I:

1. order from amazon for $1870 (no sales tax & free shipping)
    2. buy from my local apple store $2130 (including sales tax)
    3. order online $2083 (including sales tax)
    4. buy from local apple store w/ friends student discount $2030

i am hesitant to purchase my MBP from amazon b/c of the possibility of it being mishandled during shipping, should i be concerned about this? has anyone had experience ordering computers from amazon?

thanks in advance!

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I recently ordered from Amazon and my MBP came in a box in a box in a box -- no lie. The white Apple box was inside a pretty sturdy plain brown box which itself in the Amazon shipping box. There was no damage whatsoever to the external box.

The build date was approximately 3 months ago (mid December) which in itself isn't such a bad thing. After a week the only thing I have discovered is that it has a crappy Matshita superdrive that is picky about which home-spun DVDs it wants to read. The only other, and to me this is very minor, is that iit didn't include iLife 09 -- not installed and no drop-in CD/DVD.

3. dvin thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your response.

what would the build date be if i were to buy it from my local apple store? does it matter that much if the other specs are the same (ie. GHz, RAM & HD)?

4. BiffWebster macrumors newbie

I bought mine from Amazon back in November. I second that it was very well packaged with no damage during shipping. Aside from that, so far I have had no complaints. In my opinion the savings were definitely worth it. Plus, part of why I chose Amazon over some of the other online stores is that I have had a history dealing with them, and they are very good about taking back faulty items (should there be something wrong with it).

5. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

bought 3 macs from amazon. never had a problem.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because refurbs aren't new?

I've never had a problem with Amazon in general. As I just posted in the other buying-from-Amazon thread, a good friend got his MBP from them and it arrived in perfect condition.

8. dvin thread starter macrumors member

thanks for everyone's input!
    i decided to go into my local store sunday and picked one up....now i can't wait for the new iphone OS to come out so i can upgrade!

9. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I have been thinking about this route myself, but I just checked and with tax it ads up to $1,817.93 which is only $51 bucks cheaper than amazons $1,868.98

I have been hearing raves about refurbs but I was looking at paying $16-1700 tops in my hands, especially with applecare kicking it up to near $2000 afterward.

I am wondering If I need to start looking at ebay or craigslist again if that's the best I can do otherwise, unless I break down and get a standard macbook instead.

I just checked its nearly the same deal with a base macbook
    but $84 different

I wanted to make the jump to a pro if I could get one for a few hundred more than a macbook, but It is looking more and more like I should just go base, and get an add on screen, or refurb Imac down the line.

10. tgelston macrumors newbie

Amazon!

I lost track long ago of the number of electronic and other Items I have bought from Amazon and EVERYTHING has always been packed nicely. Only if you are buying from one of the third party sellers should you worry - but The MacbookPro[​IMG] is sold and shipped by Amazon - so no worries :)