mbp from macmall for $1548.99

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by craigo424x, Jul 2, 2008.

1. craigo424x macrumors member

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, I've been happy for a year with my mb, but now I'm working full time and considering the mbp. Does anyone know off hand if the one I'm linking to here is post the problem where the mbp had the yellow screen issues? From what I get this is just lacking the new multi-touch, less hdd, and maybe not the newest chipset?

Is there any reason I shouldn't get this, perhaps go with a mbp from apple refurb store, or any reason I shouldn't get it from this seller?

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...+Hard+Drive+Notebook-MacBook+Pro&dpno=7256720

Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you get it dfrom macMall, you will have to deal with them and their return policies if there is a problem.

Apple will repair the machine under warranty, but if it is a defective on arrival, Apple will absolutely not do an exchange for a new machine -- they will direct you back to MacMall to dicker with them.

3. fk51785 macrumors regular

The $1549 MBP has 128mb VRAM while the latest one has 256VRAM.

My recent experience with macmall was pretty good.
    I bought my MBA from macmall.
    It was cheaper than Apple and there was no tax.
    I also got free parallels 3.0 and laptop bag.
    Also got all the rebates in a month.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

Good luck if anything goes wrong that would require a return. From their website:

APPLE COMPUTER PRODUCTS:

Apple products are non-returnable: Apple Computer offers a one year warranty on all new equipment. During the warranty period, you may call 1-800-275-2273 to receive warranty service. Apple will attempt to solve your problem via phone. If they are unable to solve the problem, they will either dispatch a replacement via Airborne Express or will direct you to the closest Apple service center. In most cases, contacting the 800 number is the most expedient manner to obtain warranty service on Apple equipment. If a situation extends beyond Apple or an Apple service center's ability to resolve, please contact your MacMall representative for further guidance.

5. jcoop macrumors member

FWIW, yes, that's the MBP model that left some people with yellow screen problems. I lucked out and got a good screen (last September), but it would be a bit of a risk.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

...especially if you can't return it.

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I have never dealt with MacMall but I usually purchase my Macs from Macconnection.com simply because they have a good return policy. I had a Mac Book Pro last summer with some issues and they took it back no problem. Not sure about MacMall tho.

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

that same model refurb through apple (no dickerin with macmall) is 1449 before tax... so just about the same with tax. I'd go that route personally.

9. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

I love Macmall

I have bought 6 Mac systems from Macmall and no problem whatsoever. Please remember refurbish means "not new," so I would definitely consider a new system over "refurb" any day.

10. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

i buy all my computers refurbished and they are just as good as new, since they have a very strict refurb process where they double check everything (and specifically fix problems they may have been returned for) clean, test and repackage. Refurbs will either be overstock of some old models not sent out, or returns that are no older then 14 days, typically immediate returns with a defect that will then be fixed...

so yeah, they are practically new, and some may think have a better chance of having no problems since they have been so thoroughly checked. Minus the packaging, good as new.

I'd rather deal directly with apple as opposed to a third party seller, even though macmall has a great rep, they do have that return issue policy, so if you do get a lemon it's an extra step or two.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

I would rather have an Apple refurb than a new unit even at the same price, because the refurb has gone through much more testing than the new unit has. I have bought an iMac G5, Macbook C2D, and iPod as refurbs and they have all been fantastic. Apparently buyers of new systems haven't had as good luck based on the posts here.

12. craigo424x thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone. I didn't realize how much of a problem it would be to return it to macmall, especially now since it could have that yellow defect with the screen. I think I will pass on that deal and keep an eye on the refurbs...I could get a new one but I don't really need to spend more for just the multi-touch, I'm coming from a mb so just having dedicated video memory alone I should see great improvement.