MBP froze, took it in twice (story)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MyDesktopBroke, Mar 16, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

In January my late 2008 mbp started freezing, so I took it in to one of the two local Apple stores. The experience was bad, to say the least.

The symptoms my mbp suffered from were obviously graphics card related: artifacts in the menu bar, laggy core animation, and when the screen froze I could still move my mouse.

I explained this to the "genius," but he insisted my problem was due to the custom icons I was using for my dock. He said he could not service the mac (even though I've got 3 years of applecare) and showed me a policy card explaining about jail broken iPhones/iPod touches.

I tried to explain that copy/paste icons was not comparable because it's a built in function that doesn't even require a password, and that jail braking requires third party apps. He didn't want to hear it. He said my only option was to wipe the HD and to a clean install. He also vaguely mention something about losing my warranty.

Knowing this was ridiculous, I left. When I got home I upgraded to 10.6 (i had been putting this off until it was patched a bit) which solved the problem for a month or so. Then it started freezing again.

This time I took it to the other Apple store near by. As soon as I mentioned the mouse moving and the menu bar fragmenting, the genius instantly said "oh, it's the graphics card or the logic board," saw that I had applecare, and said the computer would be fixed and back before the weekend.

The experience was so completely different than the first. I was treated with respect, the guy actually listened to me, and when I showed him the custom icons he was like, oh, cool, I want to do that.

I guess there truly are some rotten apples out there. But I got so mad at the first guy I almost never wanted to go to an apple store again. It was really bugging me, so I mentioned it to the second genius, and he kind of rolled his eyes like, "yeah, we have some of those guys."

2. sharkync macrumors regular

I'd send a letter to his boss. Glad it worked out for you in the end.

3. thirdykal macrumors member

Loool. The first guy compared using custom icons on a Mac LAPTOP with Jailbreaking an iPhone/iPod Touch? What a newb. I'm glad you got it sorted out in the end.