MBP Frying External Harddrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hawk1226, Aug 6, 2008.

1. hawk1226 macrumors member

So i'm heading off to college and i decided to purchase an external hard drive to compliment my new laptop. I decided to wait a little while to buy the MBP incase they came out with a revision, but i went ahead and bought the external harddrive thinking i could start getting files from my old computer onto it. I got the verbatim 320gb portable external harddrive (not sure if the company matters anymore). It worked great when i plugged it into my old g5 computer and i easily put the documents i needed on it. There were alot, several gigs worth. When i finally got my new computer and plugged the harddrive in, the documents transferred (the machine got pretty hot, but i figured that was normal enough). I ejected the harddrive thinking nothing of it; however when i plugged it in later that day it no longer responded (there was no blinking blue light on the harddrive), both the computer and harddrive made no noise as if to recognize the connection. So i brought it into the apple store today and I was given a new one. I plug it into my laptop and take off a sizeable load of files that i dont want sitting on my computer, but rather on the harddrive. It completes the job (gets very hot) and when i eject, it ejects. However, now trying to plug it in again, it doesn't work anymore. Same issue. This time i even smelled the device and smelt like smoke or burning inside the harddrive. I have a genius appointment tomorrow, but what do you guys think?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I've never used a Verbatim drive, but it sounds like they both fried. Could be a bad lot from the manufacturer. Try another brand drive. If another one fries, your MBP needs service.

3. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, when i go in tomorrow i'm bringing both my laptop and my harddrive so the problem can be diagnosed. What an irriation.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Or the Verbatim is drawing more than the 500 mA limit that USB ports on the MacBook will provide. Does the drive have its own AC adaptor? Does it work when it's plugged into AC?

If that is the issue, there's nothing you can do except return the Verbatim for a brand of drive that plays by the rules.

5. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

Nope pretty sure no AC adaptor. It comes with a double sided firewire cord and a special cord that plugs into the harddrive with two usb cords on the other side.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So are you using both connectors?

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. OK.. FYI.
    IF using USB - One USB is for Data, the other is for power!! This is because the drive is drawing more then 500mA from your USB socket.

If the drive has built-in FireWare, I would use that instead, cause the FireWire port supports more current.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

USB left hand plug provides more power than the right one

right one will not spin up my external drive, left one will, right one is choppy when playing music through ext sound card, left one is fine

maybe its just my machine, but thats what ive found

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yep.. I found this too!

This theory also applies to USB media card readers, especially if your trying to load in Compact Flash... Arghhh!!

10. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

i wasn't using the usb one, i was using firewire.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Since your using FW, I can only come to two conclusions.

1. Your 'verbatim 320gb' drive enclosure isn't parking the heads safely thus moving the drive, too soon, after disconnection is causing the heads to crash. i.e. Bad Enclosure - I've seen some really cheap and nasty cases on the market.

2. Either one or both bits of equipment are faulty.

If your second drive failed due to using your MacBookPro, I would advice you to return both the MBP and HD to Apple (assuming you've brought them both from the same place) and ask an engineer to test the equipment - perhaps see can they replicate the problems.

12. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I brought the computer into the genius' today and they tested the computer out trying to run it on one of their lacie externals and it got only a little warm, around the cord it was cool actually. So they decided it wasn't the computer. They let me return the verbatim and buy another companies product and pay or be given the difference. Overall good day, though the parking in the mall is ridiculous.